Want To Get My Hands Dirty!

dingleberry

Local time
10:17 PM
Hello,
Newcomer here... I am very anxious to get started on my first MB project. What would be the simplest and cheapest way to get my hands dirty with a first project that would help me through some of the learning curve of motor bikes? Please advise as to motor, mount configuration, and anything else that would be important for a first timer... I just want to get started with some hands on learning.

Thank you so much!
Paul

Nobody can tell you what your asking. You need to decide what setup you want 1st then go from there. I wish I had found this sight before I went and bought my kit because of all the info here. My friction drive Im happy with but knowing what I know now I would do things a lil differently. Read my friend as much as you can then decide. Good luck.

Hello,
Newcomer here... I am very anxious to get started on my first MB project. What would be the simplest and cheapest way to get my hands dirty with a first project that would help me through some of the learning curve of motor bikes? Please advise as to motor, mount configuration, and anything else that would be important for a first timer... I just want to get started with some hands on learning.

Thank you so much!
Paul
A great way to start out is a happy time engine as they are known on this forum. Read more on this forum and you will find out what they are like and who sells them.

BSA

Thanks guys I appreciate it... I will do some more searching around on here. Will definitely check out the "happy time" engine... If there was any confusion in my post, what I meant to express was that I learn by doing and am looking for the easiest / cheapest way to get started and make some of the "learning mistakes" on a cheap set up before springing for something really nice. Thank you again!

Kind regards,
Paul

With the amount of info here, and a number of very reputable vendors in the community, mistakes aren't necessary. The best advice I can give is to read and remember "you get what you pay for". The cheapest price can work much better for an experienced builder than for a 1st timer.

I would definetely recomend a chinese frame mount 2 stroke engine (Happy Time). When I first got mine I only had the most basic engine knowledge, but these engines really teach you a lot about mechanics and engineering! And as it is the worlds most popular kit there is heaps of information to guide you through and most of the people who have got one on this forum are nearly experts to help you out! You learn a lot, one guy once said that there is such a great relationship between these bikes because you need the bike, and the bike needs you! It really is true, the basic design has barely changed since 1957 when the chinese copied an even older russian design! The satisfaction of building it and then hearing the engine burst into life is undescribable! my bike is the one thing I am really proud of!

Just take it easy and dont rush into anything, and also remember to treat the engine nicely unless you want to pedal it home. Soon you will know exactly how far the limits of your engine are.

Fastboy

I It really is true, the basic design has barely changed since 1957 when the chinese copied an even older russian design!

And I believe that before that the Russian engine was a copy of a British engine made before the war.

BSA

You will learn the most on a Happy-Time and can then apply that knowledge to any thing available out there.

Thanks guys! That is just the advice I was looking for... I am a big believer in not biting off more than I can chew when learning anything for the first time... sounds like the 2 stroke happytime will be perfect.

Kind regards,
Paul

Back