Warning- GEBE rant

S

smapadatha

Warning - GEBE Rant

[Does anyone have an emoticon that is sucking on a deer rifle? I could also go for a Michael Douglas "Falling Down" gig too.]

Hello to all from GEBE hell. Before I begin my anti-GEBE rant, I'd like to say that this is a great forum and that I've learned a lot. I especially admired DougC's website on his GEBE trail of tears. I know how much work it must have taken to document all that experience. I only wish I had found this site (and Doug's) before I was so darned stupid as to have bought a kit from GEBE.

And now, for my GEBE hate speech.

I have come to the conclusion that it is the mission of the (derogatory reference deleted to pass moderator) at GEBE to prevent as many people as possible from putting engines on their bikes. They have cleverly disguised their intentions by posing as a bike engine company.

The only question of mine that they have answered was: How can I send you a check? They do not respond to emails or voicemails, and they do not answer their phone. Their website has 100 pages which have been randomized so that critical information, like:

BTW - here's are some requirements that your bike must have before you can install one of our kits.

or

BTW - we also sell replacement wheels so you won't have to spend $200 at your local bike shop and several months to build your own.

(Here's just my rim saga: order Sun Rhyno Lite XL rim. Out of stock from distributor 1 and 2. Back ordered from distributor 3. Distributor 3 ships 20" rim by mistake. No stock on 26" rim. Order from distributor 4. Two week delay. Distributor 4 loses order. Re-order from distributor 4. Two week delay. Distributor 4 loses order a second time. Re-order from distributor 4.
Receive rim 9 weeks after first order.)

I will not mention how long it took to find a decent bolt-on hub.

You may ask, why doesn't a dufus like me just order a fully built wheel that meets the GEBE spec from GEBE?

Because a dufus like me didn't realize that you must click on Order (not Products, like every other website in the world), scroll down 4 miles and click on "Engine Kit Accessories", because it did not occur to me that a wheel was an "Engine Kit Accessory".

Another question is: why didn't the (derogatory reference deleted to pass moderator) at GEBE TELL me that they sell pre-built wheels when I told them in an email that I was trying to get a replacement wheel, or mention this in their FAQ?

Here are some other questions about GEBE:

1. Why can't they just tell you, one one page
1.1 what your bike must have.
1.2 What they can supply you with.
1.3 Where you might be able to get the things you need that they don't have.

2. Why isn't the "Important Measurements" page easily available from the Home page? Those measurements are important, right? That's how they came up with the name of the page, isn't it?

3. Why can't they sell you a piece of bent wire that would help a lot in determining if the bike you are thinking about buying would be wide enough for their drive ring? The good news is that, now that I've spent $2,000.00 I can make this piece of wire myself, so I hate to complain.

4. Why can't they recommend bikes that they *know* their engine kits will fit on, since they obviously know this?

5. Screw the recommendations, why don't they just sell ****ing bikes with the ****ing engines already on them? I would gladly cut them a check for almost any ****ing amount they wanted and that way I would not have two expensive ****ing brand new bicycles neither of which is wide enough to take the ****ing GEBE drive ring and a ****ing brand new 35.5cc 4 stroke paperweight?

I apologize for my rant, but this has been a very slow, very frustrating, very expensive and completely failed project. And because of the Patriot act, I cannot even express my true feelings about the (derogatory reference deleted to pass moderator) at GEBE, and that is frustrating too.

Um, welcome .... :D

Hello to all from GEBE hell. Before I begin my anti-GEBE rant, I'd like to say that this is a great forum and that I've learned a lot. I especially admired DougC's website on his GEBE trail of tears. I know how much work it must have taken to document all that experience. I only wish I had found this site (and Doug's) before I was so darned stupid as to have bought a kit from GEBE.

Now that you have a first post, (and one I hope we can use as a constructive starting point), maybe we can see pix of your bikes, the narrow forks on the back, and at least get the paperweight on the road.

At least, I hope thats what you want to do, get one of the two bikes running properly. When I started it was with $100 Avalons from WalMart, which was what they advised. I upgraded to Sun Cruisers on my own research, not their recommendation. And before I bought in on the idea, I knew nothing about either.

Today I sold a recumbent, a tandem and a men & womans' Sun Alum 7, tomorrow I pick up a Sun 3 speed with coaster brakes. And Doug, Hive, Torque and the rest of the new members can answer a lot of questions.

The thing is bike shops can't add engines, and engine companies can't build bikes, its like a medieval guild.

We all have horror stories on certain parts and upgrades, but things are hectic in every bicycle engine business.

But the forum's main purpose is to assist you where GEBE let you down. 8)

Again, welcome, and I'm serious about getting you on the road more or less troublefree, and no more out of pocket than absolutely necessary.

Re: Warning - GEBE Rant

smapadatha said:
[Does anyone have an emoticon that is sucking on a deer rifle? I could also go for a Michael Douglas "Falling Down" gig too.]

And now, for my GEBE hate speech.

I have come to the conclusion that it is the mission of the (derogatory reference deleted to pass moderator) at GEBE to prevent as many people as possible from putting engines on their bikes. They have cleverly disguised their intentions by posing as a bike engine company.

The only question of mine that they have answered was: How can I send you a check? They do not respond to emails or voicemails, and they do not answer their phone. Their website has 100 pages which have been randomized so that critical information, like:

BTW - here's are some requirements that your bike must have before you can install one of our kits.

or

BTW - we also sell replacement wheels so you won't have to spend $200 at your local bike shop and several months to build your own.

(Here's just my rim saga: order Sun Rhyno Lite XL rim. Out of stock from distributor 1 and 2. Back ordered from distributor 3. Distributor 3 ships 20" rim by mistake. No stock on 26" rim. Order from distributor 4. Two week delay. Distributor 4 loses order. Re-order from distributor 4. Two week delay. Distributor 4 loses order a second time. Re-order from distributor 4.
Receive rim 9 weeks after first order.)

I will not mention how long it took to find a decent bolt-on hub.

You may ask, why doesn't a dufus like me just order a fully built wheel that meets the GEBE spec from GEBE?

Because a dufus like me didn't realize that you must click on Order (not Products, like every other website in the world), scroll down 4 miles and click on "Engine Kit Accessories", because it did not occur to me that a wheel was an "Engine Kit Accessory".

Another question is: why didn't the (derogatory reference deleted to pass moderator) at GEBE TELL me that they sell pre-built wheels when I told them in an email that I was trying to get a replacement wheel, or mention this in their FAQ?

Here are some other questions about GEBE:

1. Why can't they just tell you, one one page
1.1 what your bike must have.
1.2 What they can supply you with.
1.3 Where you might be able to get the things you need that they don't have.

2. Why isn't the "Important Measurements" page easily available from the Home page? Those measurements are important, right? That's how they came up with the name of the page, isn't it?

3. Why can't they sell you a piece of bent wire that would help a lot in determining if the bike you are thinking about buying would be wide enough for their drive ring? The good news is that, now that I've spent $2,000.00 I can make this piece of wire myself, so I hate to complain.

4. Why can't they recommend bikes that they *know* their engine kits will fit on, since they obviously know this?

5. Screw the recommendations, why don't they just sell ****ing bikes with the ****ing engines already on them? I would gladly cut them a check for almost any ****ing amount they wanted and that way I would not have two expensive ****ing brand new bicycles neither of which is wide enough to take the ****ing GEBE drive ring and a ****ing brand new 35.5cc 4 stroke paperweight?

I apologize for my rant, but this has been a very slow, very frustrating, very expensive and completely failed project. And because of the Patriot act, I cannot even express my true feelings about the (derogatory reference deleted to pass moderator) at GEBE, and that is frustrating too.

Wow, what a bunch of nonsense you spew. I have not experienced anything like describe. I am about to order my fifth engine kit from them and have had nothing but great service and results from Golden Eagle Bike Engines. Who really gives a f**k if their company name implies they make or design engines. It is too bad that you feel the way you do but it seems you have difficulty dealing with conflict. I have never seen anything derogatory with substance about them. By the way, are you a shill?

:eek: Smapadatha dude, methinks you didn't do enough research before buying engine ANNND bike. if you had carefully read the many reviews on GEBE'S website, ya coulda bought a exact bike just like their customers. :???:
maybe ya shoulda introduced yourself first, in a friendlier light.
Myron

Your comments

Really were more about the GEBE web site than not getting all the answers.

In a phrase, their web site is not the best, but most of the information is there, though you must dig for it. Yes, they should clean it up and would reap the benefits, but they may also be at maximum capacity at the moment. And, yes, it should not be for the customer to have to extract or dig out what is important to do the job on their product. They likely know it.

Still, you may get out of the woods, by using the knowledge you have acquired the hard way and passed on to us.

GEBE ENGINE SUPPORT BAR

BTW, you can bend that engine support bar anyway you wish, as long as it functions, or, you can buy some aluminum stock and custom bend your own using a couple of vises and large adjustable wrench...see the comments and pics on the thread about the Burley recumbent. I had same problem and simply bent the support a bit.

That bar does not have to go to the fender support; it can go to the seat bolt, or be set to attach to added metal sides anchored to the seat post, however you can stabilize it ... see the Burley pics.

I've been in two businesses, storm windows in the late seventies/early eighties, then mobile home supply during the housing boom of the eighties, where the most awkward phase is "the beginning" and "full capacity", and that is where GEBE is at, making the transition.

Before I bought the first engine, Dennis gave me two customers to call, and they gave me as much information as GEBE, because they had the time that GEBE couldn't afford.

Learning the hard way, the instructions had nothing to say about certain important things, like the axle mount having a front and back, which pertained directly to those early Avalons I built.

The straps used to be a grade thinner, and I constantly reinforced or replaced them until Dennis upgraded. Waiting for testing/approval on the new style belts took months, but now they have the right amount of Kevlar, then I had to upgrade the mounts on all the old style belts for my earliest customers, so I didn't have to carry two kinds of inventory.

I invited them or their son to the forum, but so far..... :???:

Thus far I have had to crimp/spread the forks on about 5-6 bikes, but those early GEBE customers I called before the 1st purchase told me the best ride was with the fattest tires possible, and everywhere you find fat tires, (1.75-2.25) the frame is adequate (except the Workman).

I have always been satisfied with GEBE, one of the friendliest suppliers I've met.

But I try to figure out all the different bike problems on my own, can't expect GEBE to understand mounting problems for all the different bikes folks bring me. Some of the testimonials on their website mention "adaptations and modifications", space doesn't allow them to detail the whole process.

Their website is old technology, and Dennis is an admitted dinosaur on the internet. But ask him something technical, and you get the right answers.

There is more than enough collective knowledge now on MB.com to help with GEBE questions, but positive attitudes toward us is the first step, then your experiences can be added to our more pleasant stories.

Let's get you on the rode first Smapadatha (your handle is a little rough on my dead brain cells early in the morning) :???:

Post pix of the back of your bike in your own new thread, and we'll go from there.

Meantime, get the tires as FLATPROOF AS POSSIBLE, because that is the biggest hassle on the road, fixing a rear tire flat.

smapadatha,
I gave you your own thread.

This is a first. I have never heard any negative reports on Golden Eagle's.
I have no experience with GEBE, but MBc's Successful GEBE builders will steer you right.

Hang in there....it can only get better.

I don't think it's easily possible for GEBE or any other motor kit company to keep track of what bicycle companies are doing as far as frames and so on.

The thing with the frames is kind of a catch-22: each type has advantages and drawbacks. The bikes that come with wider frames are the external-gear MTB's, but then you want a solid rear axle (not a quick-release) and then it may be harder to find a extra-long axle for an external-gear rear hub, if the stock one doesn't have a lot of room for the mount..... Meanwhile, it's easy to get longer axles for single-speed (not 3- or 7-speed!) coaster-brake bikes, but their rear frames aren't made as wide, so you're more likely to have to bend them. And steel takes bending a LOT better than aluminum does, so I would suggest a steel frame..... (if you get a frame that's too narrow in the rear end).

The Worksmans have strong spokes--but as I'm seeing, that adds problems of its own.
------
If you do it yourself, I'd bet just about any bike you put one on is probably going to have SOME problem you have to find a way around.
~

All I have to say is sorry about your bad luck. Did you know that reputable bike shops usually have wheels like you need in stock?

Show us with pictures the problems you are having.

Dan

Back