Warning To Fellow Mb'ers

mattysids

Local time
7:56 AM
This is my first MB project

I ordered my engine form King's (didn't check here first)

and got THIS:

-my SBP head stud pulled the entire threading out of the engine block (fatal blow)

-all mounting and exhaust bolts were rusted and damaged (clutch cover screws COMPLETELY stripped out)

-metal behind drive sprocket is EXTREMELY rusted (no pic because of chain blocking the image)

-their customer support told me to fill the head stud hole with J-B weld and shove the head stud in, no new engine for me

PICTURES BELOW

Attachments

• P1020794.JPG
    P1020794.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 395
  • P1020795.JPG
    P1020795.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 400
  • P1020797.JPG
    P1020797.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 423
it says to torque to 12 ft lbs in the directions

i only replaced the stud after i saw the stock one pull out ON ITS OWN WITHOUT ME TOUCHING IT

then , after replacing it the stud simply slid in and out freely and i couldn't torque it beyond 1 ft lb

the clutch cover screws CAME TO ME in that condition

I wouldn't be complaining if this was all my fault

And the rust just added to the overall fail of this project

If you have room I'd drill and tap for a 3/8 (is 0.374") a 8mm is 0.3149" stud. As far as any other bolt problem, there is not one bolt in these kits that can't be drilled into and a easy out used to extract it. I have a new engine....well almost installed 8/10/09 and blew my head gasket before I could change the studs. I was going to use bolts but due to a reply here I decided to use studs. I'm going to make my own studs out of a grade 8.8 bolt. Cut the head off, take a die to cut the threads, size up the stud and install with washers and locking nuts.

A helicoil can be used and used quite well. You can buy (12 pcs) 8mm helicoil kit for about $12.00

As mentioned above....using JB Wield on instillation, I just might have to give it a try, as if needed you can drill and tap a hole that has JB in it.

On another note...why is it that people post engine problems in a General area when there is a engine area for both 2 and 4 cycle....not a forum cop .. just wondering as I go there first to see any engine problems people have.

Keep a watch out in the Vendor Review section about a warranty problem I have...I'm going to give them 1 more shot to rectify the situation. If they won't watch the chit fly.

Last edited:
man these guys are truly someTHING

I ordered my engine form King's (didn't check here first)

-their customer support told me to fill the head stud hole with J-B weld and shove the head stud in, no new engine for me

man these guys are someTHING

sure I like JB Weld -- been using it for 40 years I guess now ??

but to use it to repair this problem ??

no way will JB work in this case

King's if this is true -- boo hoo to you

King's can go and ride the other THING

well i went to the autoparts store today,

and the very experienced owner (well into his 70's) told me he has used JB weld for stud repair for years, even in things reaching the torque specs of high power motorcycles

EXCEPT the critical difference in what he told me to do as opposed to King's advice,

was to fill the hole with JB weld and let it dry on it's own and then retap the hole into the JB weld

You can probably find a local garage (or that parts store) to do it for a few bucks. The inserts are cheap. (The complete kits, with tap and tools are, as you found, not cheap)

You can also try the glue, but I've seen quite a few times where JB Weld and PC-7 epoxies were used in this manner and failed.

Do me a favor matty & try once more with Kings to get a replacement engine....if your not confident get your dad to phone them & explain the situation.
A subtle prompt that ppl from MB.com are following this thread with interest might also help.
Kings say 3mths/90 day warranty....NOT 3mths/90 day warranty if your 16 & over.

Back