Crashes Warning warning warning, disc brake alert!

You're right Happycheapskate in assessing cable operated brakes as having dead feel and requiring more lever pressure - cannot fault your observation as it's exactly the same as my own experience with an Avid BB7 caliper.
Having said that, the clamping power seems to be similar to a hydraulic system, so at the end of the day the requirement for a braking system is to simply 'stop' the bike, and if cost is an issue, mechanical brakes are a more attractive option.

The main negative going against hydraulic systems in a motorised bicycle application, is the requirement (for convenience) to run a dual pull braking mechanism, which unfortunately is not provided by any of the manufactures of such systems.

This then forces those who use dual pull brakes to opt for mechanical disk brakes.
I've thought of using a t-junction on a hydraulic setup but since the master cylinder is designed to move a measured amount of fluid for a given lever travel when activating a singe caliper, the use of a second caliper coupled to the master cylinder would provide an excessive amount of lever travel when clamping the disk rotors.

Fabian

Last edited:
No.
See here (Sheldon Brown shop) http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html for all kinds of brake shoes and tips.

Have you tried taking one of those green kitchen scouring pads and some Dawn dish soap to your rims? Sandpaper also works well to machine the track and get the optimal braking surface. You don't need to take much off but just clean them and give it a little texture.

Giving your v-brakes "toe in" also helps. Make sure your v-brakes are lubricated properly at the rotation points, and the mounting nuts are tight.

It pays to keep some Wet/Dry paper and a small cheap knife, to get any metal/grit/rock out of your brake shoes, no matter what type you use. Eventually you'll get something in your brake shoe(s).

The scotchbrite pads do a decent job of cleaning up rims, next I go to steel wool then maybe 200 grit paper if they are badly scored. I have a number of vintage MTBs from the 80's and early 90's with either cantis or linear pull brakes so I agree with keeping the braking system maintained.
All good advice there including the Sheldon Brown link.

A good disk system would be just fine, on the flip side, I've done 4 builds using V brakes. The stopping power is just fine, I can lift the rear wheel without any problem, which indicates exceeding maximum stopping power. My current bike will run in excess of 40 and I always feel in complete control.

Just as with disk brakes, cheap V brakes don't work worth a darn. I only use Shimano arms and levers with high quality shoes. A quick clean up of the rims and it's smooth and quiet.

Hi plinko (and also Happycheapskate)

I don't attack anybody on here (ok, i've been known to be quite critical if their actions are foolish) but just pass on advise based on my own experiences.
Possibly, my greatest virtue is the ability to be self critical of my own thoughts and at times actions.

If after the act, my review of my actions isn't favourable, i'll be the first person to hold up the "fool" card.
Also, i rarely let my own psychology get the better of me, even if i'm finding all sorts of ways for self justification of my actions.
Having said that, i've placed a few posts in a thread that could be seen as contradictory to what i've mentioned above, with words that had me crucified by some members, but it's easy to be righteous and self justified in response when never being placed in that exact situation.

To both of you, i offer demure redress for my perceived attacks on your posts.
Certainly, this was not the intention, but if you look at your own posts, you may be able to see why my response was worded as it was.

Everyone has a right to post what they wish (within sites guidelines) although sometimes the brain to mouth filter suffers a seizure, and i'm not immune to such actions.

Fabian

Fabian,It's all good and I never took It as an attack.And my post with the:poop: was In good jest.Sorry If I semed to be harsh.I welcome different opinions and thanks to your Insight.I decided to study using disk brakes Instead of drum brakes.It would have to be hydraulic for me but,I thank you for your Input.And I was just joking around Mate.I actually love australia and have friends from there.And I once again thank you for your concerns you shared with me on drum brakes.

I say v brakes are good for basic riding on chinese ht engines and hydraulic disk brakes for custom h.p. builds of 5 to 9 h.p.Only reason I do not trust cable disk brakes Is cuz they can wear your hand out when applying them.If they work for you though.Then It's all good.

No matter what you use.If they stop they are good and doing their job.No limit on the Importance of good brakes.

Happy riding!

Fabian, you should be an editor for a gun and sports magazine. You have a very interesting writing style. Please contact the big name magazines in USA.

Nashbar Mechanical discs F&R w/Lvr $75

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_175271_-1_201485_10000_200359

I am sure the Nashbar brand will keep its reputation, having used a lot of their other stuff.

I bet these have the "dead" feeling, and require a strong grip, but for $80, there you go, front and rear.

I have always gotten good service from Nashbar, and have had much enjoyment from their tires, levers, spare parts, tools, and seats, and still going strong on a 28hole mtb front hub from several years ago. ( like mtn bikes for pedaling trails)

It seems to me doing 30 mph on a bike path with the possibility of cross traffic is insanity at the least and criminally liable behavior at most. What are you going to do when a kid runs out? Another biker comes towards you? An older person walking a dog? When people see you speeding like that on a bike path they complain to the police and you screw it up for the rest of us! I think your brakes are fine its your judgement and mechanical ability I question.

Last edited:
For that reason darwin, i ride on the road as people walking their dogs and parents riding with their children on walking and bicycle paths get terribly annoyed with someone on a motorised bike, zooming past them, not to mention canines making a death wish with your front wheel.

Already in my state of Victoria (Melbourne, Australia) there has been two cases where the police (in one case charged and the second case is pending) have taken motorised bicycle owners to court and are now seeking new legislation allowing them to confiscate bicycles that do not comply with the traffic authority regulation rules, just like monkey bikes.

On the other forum, one teenager is fronting court over travelling at a speed of 30 m/ph (50 k/ph) on flat ground whilst not pedalling.
This person has basically wrecked the possibility of motorised bicycles being able to fly under the radar as the police will at some stage call a blitz on illegal motorised bicycles, and naturally, all police officers will become aware of the legislation.

The ramifications of this are as follows:

1) Effectively, an I.C.E. bicycles will be required to be registered and if not registered the fine is $1000

2) You will need a full motorcycle licence to drive an I.C.E. bicycle and naturally the penalty without a motorcycle licence will be an unlicensed driving charge - not sure at the fine, but it would be high.

3) Charges of driving an unroadworthy vehicle apply if non compliant with Australian design rules for motorcycles - i'm not versed on the penalty.

4) If involved in an accident, the traffic accident commission will not cover you for third party damage or injury.

5) Potentially the police could lay charges under the anti-hooning legislation if the vehicle exceeds 25 kilometers per hour and the cyclist is not pedalling at a speed above 6 k/ph - not sure of the fine, but it would be at least 3 demerit points.

6) As all these charges and fines carry demerit point units and you only have 12 over any 3 year period, it would be easy to loose your car licence if pulled over by the police.

Naturally the job of the police is to get a conviction, so once they know the law in detail, they'll be showing no mercy and getting success convictions an anyone with an I.C.E. bicycle.
Not a good future in the state of Victoria for those who enjoy this form of recreation and a terrible state of affairs for those who desperately rely on this form of transport as their only means of getting around.

Understandably, under these Nazi style legislative changes, people with motorised I.C.E. bicycles will start using bicycle and walking paths; causing a police crackdown in these locations by the police bicycle division (yes, it's a real sector of the police force in Victoria) and it's game over for us.

Fabian

Last edited:
Back