Crashes Warning warning warning, disc brake alert!

If it was up to me, rim brakes would be legislated off the road and proponents of their use would be required to sit time in re-education schools with their release into society based on successful retraining.
The only exception would be road racing bikes with radially spoked wheels, for obvious reasons.

Fabian

You are weird. Why not legislate away road bicycles? (JOKE)
Now I think you are either daft or being a smart aleck.

Oh, I know. This is where one who is disdainful says something so rude or preposterous as to hope to end the conversation. ("re education camps" WTF)

If you held on to your rim brakes so long that you cooked your rims and popped your tires, you did something wrong. I am amazed that you didn't feather your brakes, or alternate between front and rear, or even pull over if you started worrying about brake fade. Yeah, you can get brake fade on disc brakes too on a bicycle.

And if you are going to use cable discs, be sure your cable doesn't ever break, stretch, or move where it is pinned by the adjustment screw. If that happens, you won't have any braking power.

I am really dissappointed to hear that there are some sour grapes on this board who actually want more legislation against bicycles because they are too fat or to inept to ride them without damaging wheels, "melting" brake pads, or popping tires. Ya'll don't belong on bicycles.

Puch%20Moped.jpg
photo of puch moped

Last edited:
How would you feel Fabian if you could only drive a bicycle that was made entirely from titanium? Everyone has to drive a bicycle like this because it's the best metal in the world. Both light and strong. You also can only have solid rubber tires because they will never go flat and cause you to lose control. It's bad enough that bicycles are regulated enough already. Here in New Brunswick in order to drive just a bicycle we need. A helmet, 360 degree reflectors, lights both front and rear, a bell or horn, a mirror, and the brakes have to be 100%. A motor has not even entered into the picture yet. Not that it matters because it is almost impossible to drive a gas powered bicycle here anyway. Making disc brakes mandatory is just another freedom of choice taken away from us. I find nothing wrong with disc brakes, have disc on the front of my bike where 60% of the braking power is anyway. I also drove a bicycle for many years with rim brakes, never had a problem with stopping. I have been driving bicycles for more than 20 years now. Never have i had a serious accident. Minor cuts and bruises, but that's it. Safe driving habits have always been more effective than what type of brakes you have. I had major rim damage, still was able to stop. I've had more chain problems over the years then i have ever had with rim brakes. It all boils down to personal choice as mentioned already. So where do you get off telling everyone that they HAVE TO use disc brakes. Good idea yes. necessary no.

I used to ride a similar bike to your puch moped happycheapskate.
It was a Honda CT110, commonly know as a "postie bike" in Australia, as the postal workers deliver mail using the damm things, and naturally their employer isn't concerned about safety, otherwise they would have the things retrofitted with disk brakes.

That Honda CT110 of mine was a death trap with it's laughable and dangerous drum brakes and i got rid of it as soon as some other person decided to take his life into his hands and buy the bike off me.

Fabian

Last edited:
Excellent ideas you put forward Neon:

Bikes only to use titanium frames
Must wear helmets
Must have reflectors on bike
Must have horn on bike
Must have mirrors on bike (left and right)
Must have disk brakes
Must have some sort of licencing and being able to pass a general competency test.
Must be able to read and understand road signs
If under 16 or not employed, parents, guardian or state ward to put up a reasonable amount of bond money should that person cause damage to a third party or their vehicle.

Fabian

Good point Neon

Your show excellent judgement on this topic.
My research indicates that macular degeneration can happen much sooner than within a 2 year period. Wouldn't it be better to have vision and medical tests every 12 months, so we can feel safe on the roads.
Also, how many morbidly overweight people do you see out there on a bicycle loaded past it's maximum safe operating weight, trying to make a statement about their lifestyle choices; that are only inches away from a heart attack by stressing their heart to exhaustion.

My goodness, these people run me off the bicycle path with their excessive girth.
I pay my taxes for my spot on the bike lane and safe passage on the bicycle path.

Great idea Neon - Full medical checkup every 12 months.

Fabian

My last comment to this post seems to have disappeared in the switch, along with some other comments on other posts. Every one has opinions and to demean an other's choice is just hardheaded. Let's try to keep our minds open and to be civil, please.

My post is a warning about a certain brand and model of cheap, very low quality disc brake calipers that come as standard equipment on low cost Chinese made bicycles. The problem is not with disc brakes in general, but only with cheap, low quality ones. A high quality rim brake that works is far better than a low quality disc brake that doesn't work.......... period. I have no experience with bicycle drum brakes, so I will not comment on them. I will urge people with just a coaster brake on their bikes to add a front brake of some sort. The front brake does the majority of the work and in a panic stop, a rear only braking system is dangerously inadequate. A single rear only brake or poor quality brakes in general could easily land you in a hospital bed, a wheelchair, or a coffin. For years I have been saying buy the best quality bearings, rear wheels, tires, and brakes you can afford for your motored bikes. I stand by that statement and now I'm heeding my advice.

Grabbing two handfuls of brakes hard without effect is distressing, to say the least. My bike now has a rim brake on the rear that works fine and a very good disc brake on the front that also works fine. Use whatever type of brake that works for you, just use high enough quality brakes to stop you quickly with control EVERY time.

Are they cable activated discs, or hydraulic discs? If they came on a Toys R Us bike, I expect they are really crummy cable-pull discs that can't brake as hard as my work boot jammed on the tire.

For disc brakes, I wouldn't even bother with anything less than Magura or Hayes. Even Avid cable discs are weaker than v brakes.

And toys R us has the worst dept store bikes ever. It is a bad idea to put a motor on one.

Real disc brakes don't come on $200 bikes. It is a matter of profit. The disc brakes cost too much for that price point.

Glad you are ok though! Stick to the V brakes!

Nope....Avid bb7 are simply stunning...I know this an old thread but I don't care, wrong must still be pulled up for being wrong. I ride hope m4 on my dh rig but my light trail rig has bb7s and it has hit some serious dh sections and never once felt like a wished I had the m4s on those occasions...bb7 awesome brake

Back