Warning:

Local time
4:29 PM
WARNING: To all that mounted the sprocket directly to the spokes without the rubber dounut in between like it did. My instructions said to mount both rubber dounuts to the inside of the wheel instead of on each side of the spokes which i did. Ive had no problems for the 380 miles ive ridden but i took off my sprocket to replace with a 36 tooth one and noticed the spokes where starting to be filed flat and spoke indentions on the sprocket. NOT GOOD! It would have been just a matter of time till they got weak and snapped,So if youve mounted yours this way redo it or youll be sorry. Just wanted to share this with the community to help keep us up right and off the pavement. Motor On

I've seen ppl in real life that have their sprocket directly mounted to their spokes & told them about it......most seemed unconcerned(big mistake)

Good advice. Running without the rubber on both sides is a quick solution with long term problems. This sprocket mount is problematic enough without making it weaker yet.

I have the donut on one side but had to drop donut on the other side because of chain alignment. I didnt want to leave sprocket and spokes meshed so I cut a tube up and used that in between. I'll keep a extra watch on mine.

yep . . .

I went home and checked my instruction manual---it does in fact omit the washer between the spokes and sprokets.

I took one of my bikes apart---started with the death racer running on 70 year old wheels. While there was no obvious failure about to happen, the patinated old brown spokes were silver-shiny behind the sprocket and there was evidence of the spokes gouging the sprocket as well. (Frankly, it looked like the sprocket got the worst of the wear.)

I immediately re-assembled using the other rag washer--I did have to flip my sprocket to have the teeth closer to the wheel in order to account for the additional thickness--otherwise the chain did not line up.

It looks like a rainy weekend in store, so I'll do the other bike then.

It took me half a Schlitz and less than an hour start to finish.

Given the choice between front and rear wheel failure, I would go with rear wheel any time, but the evidence shows that anyone running on just one rag washer is on borrowed time.

Thanks for the heads-up. Ladies and gents, as a bona fide State Hazard Mitigation Officer, I would say this is a hazard you cannot afford to ignore.

Just a quick addition..My latest (3rd build) used the rubber spacers on both sides but have already(1yr) broken down to the point of replacement due to runout of the rear sprocket and spoke contact. Keep checking or eat some pavement..lol

Back