Wassup With GEBE?

umeboshi

Local time
5:50 AM
The GEBE crew is touted as super-friendly and helpful, but...

I am interested in their Robin-Subaru 35 cc kit and noticed in the customer 'review' pics some of their clients have attached what's apparently add-on mufflers of some kind.

I emailed asking how the buyers actually attached these mufflers to the engines. The reply skipped my inquiry and told me I could buy a "tip" for $5.00 extra to point the soundwaves downward。。。and that I must be talking about this device.

I responded thanking them for the mail but repeating that their pics showed external mufflers and asking how they were attached, whether ports were threaded or what. One reviewer actually said (and showed) he ran copper piping under his engine, etc. No reply.

Then I mailed telling them the kit I want to buy, but saying a poster on this forum stated that he bought an add-on muffler from them for same kit and that it worked well. I wanted to verify the availability of the muffler.
No response.

Sooo... are mufflers a s e n s i t i v e topic with GEBE people? Have I violated some important protocol? I was super nice in all my correspondence.

Thanks for comment or advice. It's a little hard to send money to folk that won't talk. Maybe it's a cultural divide, but down here in Deep South, it just ain't friendly. :)

Umeboshi 梅干し 

Eho 35cc Robin

eho 35cc Robin 4-stroke is mainly for level terrian with some hills. If you live in a very hilly terrian , you want the Tanka 40cc 2-stroke. Some how I think the sound would be much louder on the Tanka because the 35cc Robin is a low compression motor.

yup, the tanaka is a bit ruder than the robin under acceleration, but at cruise they're both pretty nice and not offensive at all, at least not to this gearhead :cool:

Thanks, Stinger and Augidog...

I did read much of the available material on the forum about mufflers but was, frankly, overwhelmed. I did not anticipate warping so suddenly into rocket science, "expansions chamber" physics, and "tuned pipes." Wow. It seemed alternately that I could do the muffler, couldn't do the muffler, and then could do it.

Anyway, I spoke too soon abut GEBE...this evening there was a GEBE reply waiting in my mail. They said there are no aftermarket mufflers available for 4-stroke engines....those in the pics, he said, were put on 2 strokes...which all the lit I read when I first came here seemed to suggest was the most difficult???

So apparently if the 4 stroke 35 cc is loud, I can stuff kleenex in my ears -- without expansion chamber ?? :)

Thanks for the replies...

Umeboshi

At 20 mph you will hear the wind rushing by your ears OVER the sound of the engine.

Thank you all. I appreciate the input. That eases my mind. Now, I just need to go down to the police department with about 3 dozen Krispy Cremes before I make my order! :)

umeboshi

Krispy Cremes are a lot deadlier. They melt a solid block of greenish looking grease to fry the things in...or so a person who worked there told me. Hey...I'll feed the cops whatever they want! :)

If this would help, I have both a 35 and a 25 cc R-Subaru. They are noticeably quieter than my 23cc 2-stroke Zenoah. When I go up to my closed-community up near Palm Springs, I motor up and down the neighborhood without being noticed. But at night, that's when I think of getting a muffler, lololol :)

At 20 mph you will hear the wind rushing by your ears OVER the sound of the engine.

I agree. I hear the sound of the engine but it really isn't loud at all. The only time I really hear it is when I pass close to a cement barrier (such as on a bridge). I thought about the down pipe 'muffler' but have decided I don't need it.

Don't forget that GEBE is overrun at the moment so expect a long delay in your order... but it is worth the wait!

Finally, I would just like to tell you to consider what you really want. I have the EHO-35 and it is actually more than I want. Part of my rational to purchase this kit was to get some exercise. I need to actually back off the throttle if I want to pedal. The EHO-25 would have been sufficient for me. (I'm 6'1", 250(+) and ride through hilly terrain.)

Back