Engine Trouble Wasted Weekend

Timbone

Local time
5:59 PM
This was supposed to be the weekend for fabricating a new center kickstand with the new welding machine I've procured. Instead I spend at least 10 hours troubleshooting with no fix.

It started Thursday afternoon on my return commute from work. I got caught in a downpour, completely soaked from the start. Still, the motorbike performed flawlessly as it has been doing for many weeks. At about mile 10 of the 12 mile trip, the motor just stopped. I was rolling along just fine and - something changed. No lockup, just a powerless purr as if there's no fuel flow or spark. It was still raining. Checked all electrical connections and the spark plug. Fuel line looked good, plenty of fuel in the tank.

I pedaled and walked about s half mile to the top of a small hill. On the downhill run I was able to restart the engine - heard a sharp pop! from the cylinder head - and made it home. Since more rain was forecast for Friday, I figured it would be a Saturday project.

Thought about possible causes - the pop was a clue of head gasket issues! - and decided to just work through all the systems. Got some carb cleaner and detached the carb for a complete clean out. The outside of the carb looks bad the the insides were pristine. Floatbowl had a nice level if very clean gas. The intake was clean, too.

I checked my spark plug connection carefully, even adding a small clamp to keep it fixed to the spark plug cap.

Removed the head and examined the surfaces. Signs of serious blow through, mostly in the front of the slant head. The stock aluminum gasket was intact but had deep lines of impression and looked lined and stressed.

Piston and jug walls look great with just some light carbon on the piston surface. No scratching. Bottom gasket looked brand new. Rings look great.

I had another aluminum head gasket. Tried it and got one really good run in that lasted about a half mile. Same symptom: engine just stopped firing.

After several tries with different heads and gaskets - I tried teflon tape, too - nothing worked. I even found another slant head and I think I got one decent run in it. Tried different spark plugs. No joy.

That was Saturday. I quit and thought about different solutions.

Today, I got up and went straight to Lowe's buying, amount other things, sandpaper and a small piece of glass.

I inverted the two cylinder heads and ground them down until they looked completely flat. No teetering at all in the glass.

I was fortunate to find a thin copper gasket that I ran on a build s couple of years ago. I annealed it, seated it on the newly sanded head. Did a test run and -Zoom!- off she went like there was never anything wrong. After one fast run of about a half mile, once again, the engine stopped running.

Maybe the CDI is the problem? I have two others and I fitted them both. I checked all my electrical connections and soldered them just to be sure. I disconnected the kill wires. I lit myself up several times touching the end of the sparkplug: plenty of juice getting to the plug. Still no start. Nothing worked.

I am pretty sure this is the head/ head gasket. I just ordered one of each. I find it very frustrating that the difference between running and being stopped is such a fine line. I was looking forward to riding this weekend and riding to work tomorrow. Instead I spent 8 hours of my weekend doing work that got me nowhere.

I looked in there. Pristine. Dry as a bone. Touching the plug while pedaling through the resistance lights me up! It's making electric!

A shock to the finger (100v+) is not the same thing as good spark (=12,000vmin).
Try it with a plug with 0.030" gap on the wire. You should get a good blue spark with an audible "snap".

Better yet, get a set of neon spark caps (my favourite):
m54BYZwwOytl0AXzJbKXk-Q.jpg

Or a spark tester:

8003334.jpg

Something like this is needed to really be sure you are getting enough spark.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Update:

I replaced the cylinder head and gasket, torqued it to 20 # or maybe a little more. Expected to go immediately. Nothing at all.

I replaced the magneto with one that was on a working engine from about a year ago. No change. Touching the exposed plug wire lit me up, though. God, I hate doing that!

After sundown, I pulled the plug and tested for blue spark. I had nothing good. Spark looked good when it happened but it most mostly off or weak, even at decent RPM.

It sure seems like plenty of kick is getting to the plug head, but it's not passing well through the plug. My CDI and magneto should be putting out nominal figures. My plug gap is right at .030. I guess I will try a new plug tomorrow.

Very frustrating.

many folks keep common repair parts on hand - makes it pretty quick & easy

Back