Water Bottle mount screws

Xtrm84

Those darn things are in my way of mounting the engine. Is there a way to remove them? Thanks!

F

fetor56

Why remove them....why not make use of them to mount your engine.It's better than drilling the frame.

h3ch4

Not a bad idea. I almost did that to mount mine, but then I found out that there wasn't enough space for the air filter housing AFTER loctiting the mounting screws and everything. :(

Lesson: check for space with the carb and filter attached.

Xtrm84

I dont think I have a choice of drilling through the frame. I have a cruiser with a really thick down tube. I would have to fabricate a special mount and I do not have the tools to (starving college student).

cooltoy

Take the bolt out if still there and grab a file from a dollar store and file away. Or use a grinder or drill with little grinding wheel/disk.Should not take more than five minutes either way.

L

Large Filipino

For those really thick down tubes take a sledge hammer...never mind.

S

Simonator

Why remove them....why not make use of them to mount your engine.It's better than drilling the frame.
I tried that. It worked ok, but not the greatest. It is just a tiny screw.I had to use extra long studs for the rear mount, because of the thickness of my frame. I don't think I used strong enough studs. The rear mount bolts sheared. . After that it ripped the water bottle screw and threads right out the frame. The motor almost fell off the bike completely.

F

fetor56

I tried that. It worked ok, but not the greatest. It is just a tiny screw.I had to use extra long studs for the rear mount, because of the thickness of my frame. I don't think I used strong enough studs. The rear mount bolts sheared. . After that it ripped the water bottle screw and threads right out the frame. The motor almost fell off the bike completely.
The idea was to make up a bracket so that the bracket bolts to 2 drink bottle studs then the engine bolts to the bracket...2 studs and an aluminium bracket means any stress is distributed over a much wider area.
Doesn't matter now....look through our pic gallery or our sponsors websites to see how other ppl did their install.When u find something suitable copy it, but my advice is drill the frame as a last resort ONLY...drilling weakens the frame and makes it look terrible(IMHO)