Water Bottle Used As Spare Gas Tank ?

Mountainman

Local time
10:58 PM
Yes, that is what I keep wanting to do -- use my water bottle as a spare gas tank.. I had thought that this was working perfect - until a rubber o-ring in my water (gas) bottle broke down and melted.. I am trying a different water bottle now - has no o-ring.. Anyone heard of a gas tank made that fits into a water bottle holder ? Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Get a MSR fuel bottle. They fit in bottle holders

http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=13056&highlight=fuel

Thank you ZevO -- I should have known there was a thread !! I went to the site -- yes, the bottle I should be using.. Along with some other places - Wal Mart is mentioned - I would guess in the sporting goods ? Looks like the width on all size bottles is the same -- so all sizes fit into water bottle holders ? Happy Riding from - Mountainman

I used a walmart aluminum water bottle for past year or so. I don't have a bottle holder on my bike and used velcro tiedowns and doublesided tape to mount it to frame. DS tape is necessary or bottle will wear paint.

I got my water bottle at the Army/Navy store. It came in different colors and I got the black one. Price was just a bit over a buck.
The plastic used to mold this water bottle is the same number (inside the triangle symbol) which is 3....(i need to check to be sure) as in my plastic red gas tank container you find everywhere so I bought it.
Then I filled it with gas and left it for two days.
No leaks and holds it well.
It looks good,doesn't look like anyone would want to steal it so I don't have to smuggle it in a store when I go shopping and people would think there's just nasty water in there and it only costed me a buck and some change. It also holds the same amount of gas as my tank!
Epic win!!

And the MSR fuel bottle you would find in sporting goods stores. I haven't seen Wal Mart carrying them. And it's like 12 bucks,yo.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 906
Last edited by a moderator:
Large,
That's great to know about the army canteen being compatible with gas. I hated drinking out of those things because they always made the water taste like plastic.
A great tip and a cheaper way to carry spare fuel.

Remember though the MSR bottle that actually says "Fuel" on it is the LEGAL way to go.
But gas stations haven't said a thing when I fill up my bottle. Just don't forget to tell them "Please stop it at a dollar" so the gas will flow out of the pump slowly.

water bottle

One thing to be aware of is that the chemicals in Gas and Oil can break down the plastic over time in my race car i only keep fuel in the plastic container for the day of racing its not likely to break down over night but just something to be aware of .
Roy

I found the Alum. Fuel Bottles at Academy Sports for only $4.00 ( off brand timberline)
But thats a good price !!!!!

Back