Water-Powered Engines

mark2yahu

Local time
2:49 PM
On Youtube, there are a lot of videos about water-powered cars. A Japanese company has a micro car due out in a couple of years, and some guy in Asia made a conversion kit, but some corporation is trying to make him out as a crazy man.

What do some of you think of this; is it a hoax?
:confused:

I think it's a hoax. I'm not totally ruling it out, because the laws of science have been broken before, but I do think it's highly unlikely.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Of course it is a hoax. If it weren't, don't you think our military would be using it to fuel their vehicles?

not a hoax...do some research
it's called brown's gas
electricity and H2O make HHO
2 hydrogen molecules and 1 oxygen
I saw a friends harley running on it the other day

I've done some research on this subject and here's what I found out.
There are online products which electrolyze water into HHO as you drive and then introduce this mixture directly into the air intake of a gasoline powered car. Most claim between 40-60% increase in fuel efficiency and a reduction in harmful emissions.

My research has convinced me that the emmissions reductions are real, but that increased fuel eficiency is more on the order of 4-10%. (I'm talking about automobiles and trucks here).

I haven't personally evaluated a particular product. I've seen them for between $49-$110. Canadian truckers are using a much more pricey system. ($2,600-$6,000).
I want to try to build my own.

Even at 4-10% increased fuel efficiency, it seems like a worthwhile technology.
Search Wikipedia for "Hydrogen Fuel Enhancement". See what you think.

Electrolizing water and supplementation with hydrogen are a long way from "water powered".

Everything I ever learned about chemistry, electrochemistry, and the nature of ionic bonds, covalent bonds, etc in molecular materials argues that there is no possible way to recover all of the energy expended in producing "Brown's Gas", let alone provide a effective fuel by itself.

That said, there have been anomalous results reproducibly found in controlled circumstances. Most striking are the results demonstrated in affecting "spontaneous" nuclear reaction rates amongst radioactive materials. Both hydrogen gas and oxygen preferentially combine to form two atom molecules in nature - neither gas is commonly found as a single atom, it is virtually always H2 or O2 - the monatomic state is unstable (which is a function of their electron orbital shells being "unfilled").

So, the energy that must be expended in an electrolytic apparatus to seperate the atoms in the water into its constituent gasses is known, and that amount of energy is what is returned to the system upon combustion - at 100% efficiency. 100% efficiency is impossible to attain - any energy that appears as heat, or sound, or radio frequency noise (and electrolysis creates all three) is "lost" energy, insofar as useful work is concerned.

I've been looking, but I've found nothing credible that leads me to accept water as fuel. Water as a fuel additive, even electrolytic dissociation of water into hydrogen gas and oxygen for recombination as part of a fuel load in an engine may have advantages, but the net cost/benefit in energy expenditure is negative, overall.

SimpleSimon isnt this an ENGLISH only site? KISS principle works for me.LOL

Darwin, let me translate. Today, right now, there is no viable substitute to hydrocarbon fuels for wheeled road vehicles. Sometime in the future there will be but not today.

Yep, it takes energy (electrical) to break H20 into hydrogen and oxygen. No such thing as a free lunch. Was your friend's Harley running on nothing but hydrolyized water or did he also have gas going into the engine?

That's the current problem with hydrogen powered vehicles. Where is the generating capacity going to come form to create the H2 gas? Nuclear power is obviously the best alternative to carbon emitting forms of power generation but that opens another can of worms.

I personally feel that the solution to our fuel issues is more drilling right now and algae based biodiesel production. Here is how a diesel VW paired against a Prius:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060424/FREE/60417021
http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/aub/business/25575664.html

The new generation of diesels are very clean burning and do emit less carbon than gas vehicles. Just some thoughts.

This is my favorite post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ldPguephYc

Last edited:
Back