WC1 motors - whats the scoop

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by St.Peter, Apr 29, 2009.

  1. St.Peter

    St.Peter New Member

    I just bought a 1999 whizzer. It only has 450 miles on it. Can anyone give me the good and the bad about this year and motor? It runs fine at this point. The person I bought it from said he thought it was a 2003. After discovering the true year I renegotiated for a better price. The good and the bad of this year would help me prepare. THANKS

  2. RdKryton

    RdKryton Active Member

    Congratulations on buying a Whizzer. The main problem with a WC-1 motor is that it will eventually lose a valve seat. That will make the cylinder a paperweight. I have heard of one or two WC-1's that have not failed in this manor but they are the exception not the rule. You should look at an NE5 engine upgrade kit. The cylinder and head are the main parts needed. You can get away with the original piston, rings, carb, and cam to save some money. Good luck and have fun.
  3. Quenton Guenther

    Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

    Upgrade parts are getting harder to find, better locate them ASAP.

    Have fun,
  4. bill green

    bill green Member

    :scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::Hi st.peter call me and set it up I have the parts at this time ..let me know.. Bill
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. radrob

    radrob Member

    what year did the motor change.I was thinking of picking up a 04 model. Is $700 a good price? do these require a license plate in washington state?
  6. Whizzer engine dating

    Hi rad, 2005 is the NE5 introduction, all earlier engines will need upgrading, unless previously done.

  7. radrob

    radrob Member

    can you run it till it goes out or will that cost alot more in the long run. i want to buy 1` but dont have enough money to buy a 05 or newer. will the earlier ones go a few thousand miles befor usualy having problums.or just a few hundred. really want 1 but cant spend but 5 or 6 hundred now.
  8. wc-1 Whizzer lifespan

    Hi radrob, the ones I have known get 400-600 miles and then are done. It should not damage anything further than parts that you will already need to replace BUT certain parts aer getting a bit hard to find even now.

  9. Quenton Guenther

    Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

    Hi St. Peter & radrob,

    There are several ways to upgrade the WC-1 motor to NE status. The NE conversion kit retails for $466.xx and includes several un-needed parts, several parts that don't work correctly and missing parts. The kit includes a piston & rings [not needed on a motor with only a few hundred miles on it. The kit also includes a 22 MM carburetor which is too big for a WC-1 motor using a stock camshaft. The kit also lacks a breather to fit the 22 MM carburetor. The exhaust manifold in the kit is for the larger NE5 exhaust pipe and is too large for the stock WC-1 pipe.

    I offer a much better kit and the cost is $375.00 plus shipping. My kit includes a aluminum spacer to allow the use of the original WC-1 exhaust pipe & manifold. The kit also includes studs to allow the use of the original WC-1 carburetor. The kit also includes a milled & re-worked head. The kit also includes a modified [early NE] cylinder with minor port work, decked, re-cut valve seats, lapped valves, drilled guide hole, and painted with high temp black paint.

    The only probem is the supply is running out fast, and I doubt I will be able to aquire more.

    Have fun,
  10. radrob

    radrob Member

    thanks for the info. just what i needed to know!!
  11. uncle_punk13

    uncle_punk13 Guest

    WA Licensing

    They are required to be registered and tabbed in WA as they fall under the 'Motor-Driven Cycle' category in the R.C.W. Not hard to do, just make sure you have either a clean title or the M.S.O. and take it to the DMV- if they give you any carp about the MSO take it to a different licensing agent... :whistling: Worst case you'll have to make an appointment and take it to the W.S.P. inspection station where they will look at the V.I.N. and M.S.O. and issue you paperwork to take back to the D.M.V. for your plates, tabs, and registration.