Wear from the chain

xliarsenickx

Local time
10:07 AM
Has anyone else had the chain wear down the chain stay on their bike? How can I fix this or stop it from happening? Sorry if the pics sucks, I had a hard time finding the right angle to show what I was talking abt.

Attachments

• IMG_5310.jpeg
    IMG_5310.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5309.jpeg
    IMG_5309.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5307.jpeg
    IMG_5307.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 20
Spread the rear of the frame a little and use washers to make up the diff mounting the rear wheel

Maybe @Damien or another member will chime in shortly and give some tips about frame spreading

While I understand how to spread a frame I've never had to do it or made post with pictures

Has anyone else had the chain wear down the chain stay on their bike? How can I fix this or stop it from happening? Sorry if the pics sucks, I had a hard time finding the right angle to show what I was talking abt.
Spread the rear of the frame a little and use washers to make up the diff mounting the rear wheel

Maybe @Damien or another member will chime in shortly and give some tips about frame spreading

While I understand how to spread a frame I've never had to do it or made post with pictures
I don't recommend this method on an aluminum frame because it would probably crack and break, but this is what i did on my Steel Frame Hyper Beach Cruiser to accomodate the rear sprocket and disk to fit within the dropouts and frame as well as the chain staying clear of the chain stays.

On my bike, (steel frame ONLY), i had to "stretch" the rear forks apart by hand, about 1/2 an inch to put the rear wheel with sprocket/rotor attached, and then use a spare 15MM axle nut on the sprocket/rotor inside of the drop down, threaded to the axle with blue locktite, to maintain that amount of "stretch" to accommodate the amount of of clearance space the rotor needs so as not to be pressed against the frame.

It helps to have a buddy with a strong pair of hands to help in this proceedure like I did...lol.

EDIT Monday, July 10th, 2023:
This link below will show you how to make a frame stretcher tool for spreading the rear of the frame if your going to use mag rims with disk brakes on your bike.....
Beware, do NOT attempt stretching aluminum frames as they will crack and break.

And this link showing pics of how it is used to stretch the frame.

What's going on with this stay in the picture? In the middle-left side. Looks like it's damaged badly. Do you have a dished sprocket on the rear wheel? Which side is the dished facing if so, inward or outward? From the pics it looks like the upper side of the chain is farther in then the lower part of the chain? Is your sprocket parallel to the wheel and not running out in anyway when it turns?

1720572009481.png

The chain on my first bike was kissing right there like yours. I put a big "C" clamp on it and squeezed it together a little. On my new bike the pedal chain does the same thing. I just put 4 nylon zip ties around it so it no longer scratches the paint at that spot.

What's going on with this stay in the picture? In the middle-left side. Looks like it's damaged badly. Do you have a dished sprocket on the rear wheel? Which side is the dished facing if so, inward or outward? From the pics it looks like the upper side of the chain is farther in then the lower part of the chain? Is your sprocket parallel to the wheel and not running out in anyway when it turns?

View attachment 215698
Yeah that's a bad gouge, I wonder what happened?

Back