Weard noise at 22 mph or faster...

S

sherryc8641

Just reciently for the last 7 times i have ridden my bike it has been making weard vibrating noises when i have been going faster than 22mph. I know I can go faster than 22 mph but for that reason I go less than 22mph. I checked every thing on my bike, even the chain, and it was none of that stuff. So I decided it was the motor. Which a day ago I found out I was right. By putting my ear next to it, listening when it was iddling. It seems to come from the carberator. But also mabe from the big main gears on the side of the engine behind the metal cover. What should I do?

The same thing happened to me a while ago. It turned out the black cover with the eagle on the side was vibrating against the motor. Just a thought.

You say it's either the carb or the gears...that's a pretty wide assessment.
What is the "weird" sound? A grinding? whirring?
Try to explain it and does the bike vibrate?

My bike makes no grinding or whirling noise. Just vibrating. It makes me feel like something is going to fall off. Also later today i will check my bolts.

check the top tube under the gas tank thats what it sounds like to me when my frame cracked so check over the bike frame thats what my rat fink bike was doing wierd vibrations at about 20 to 22 miles per hour just a thought larry ca

I would *carefully* remove the gear cover, and check to make sure there is still a *small* amount of grease (a little dab'll do ya') on the gears. That's what was needed on my 80 after a few hours/miles...
Just a thought.
If you do this carefully enough, you can re-use the gasket, but if it tears at all you'll have to replace the gasket.

uncle_punk13 said:
I would *carefully* remove the gear cover, and check to make sure there is still a *small* amount of grease (a little dab'll do ya') on the gears. That's what was needed on my 80 after a few hours/miles...
Just a thought.
If you do this carefully enough, you can re-use the gasket, but if it tears at all you'll have to replace the gasket.
yes....I let one of mine get dry and you wouldn't believe the amount of metal "dust" I found in there. without a little grease in there it really wears the gears away.
My "dab" is about the size of a navy bean....right where the gears mesh.

Back