Weed Eater Razor Scooter Conversion HELP

25CC

Ive put a small Echo weed trimmer engine onto a Razor electric scooter. first, i removed the electrical guts, then cut off the bottom bars that held the batteries. I then reversed the rear wheel because of the engine rotation. I modified the braking system which is now on the right side. I weled on angle bracket and mounted another angle bracket onto the motor, so the forward/back position can be adjusted. I found a sprocket for $10 on ebay that was a close fit, although I needed to grind down the square shaft on echo motor to make a snug fit. All works perfectly EXCEPT for the clutch. It engages, but doesnt have the grip to move forward the scooter unless no one is on it.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to make the clutch better grip the clutch drum? THANKS

A larger diameter clutch will have more surface area and less force to break traction on the drum.

However I would urge you to consider that the geometry of the mini scooter is not intended for high speed stability.

Also what kind of wheels does it have? I ask because I had a petrol mini scooter (which was a bit longer so it was a bit more stable), my only motorised vehicle before I built my MB. It had 4" rims with 3" deep tyres, so when the front tyre punctured at 30mph it turned into a very effective catapult and I became the missile... ripped my shoulder so badly on impact that I couldn't swim for two years. I could easily have broken my neck. :(

Back