Weedwhacker motor, runs for a while then quits

S

skyl4rk

I am trying to get an old weedwhacker motor running for conversion to a motored bike. It is still in the old weedwhacker frame. I can get it to run after it sits for a while and it will run well for less than a minute, then it just quits. I thought it was the carb so I bought a new one. After replacing the carb, it still does the same thing.

What would you do next to try to fix it? Maybe a new fuel line and filter? I have seen fuel running out of the fuel line, there does not seem to be an obstruction.

The motor is running rich right now. I will adjust the idle once I can keep it going for a couple of minutes. Could that be the problem?

Also, the carb has two gas line connections. I am thinking one is the return line, which I do not need for the weedwhacker set up. I am just plugging the return line.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mountainman

Local time
12:57 AM
I was going to say - fuel carb problem - same problem with new carb - like you say - return line ? Sure sounds like a fuel problem - although maybe condenser or coil - when slightly heated - shorting out ?? Let us know ok ? Happy Riding from - Mountainman

jboisclair

Local time
Yeah my weedwhacker does this also runs for a little then dies. Now its at the point where it will barely start up. Although there are a lot of bubbles in my gas line.

Local time
Ahhh.
the old weed whacker on the Bike Build..

Did it !.
It was a while back ..Cant even remember How i did it anymore..LOL

before pulling all your hair out Do yourself a favor .
Try taking off the muffler and drilling a few holes In the baffle area.
It seems the little mufflers Get clogged up after some usage.

good luck.

Bob

BlueCollarBike@Gmail.com

s_beaudry

Local time
2:57 AM
Had the same problem with my troy built weed wacker engine...

The return line to the tank had hairlines cracks in it, it ran for a minute or so, then died out, prime it and same thing again....

Check your lines to and from