Welders challenge - looking for ideas

bamabikeguy

Local time
3:46 AM
Workman builds a front load trike, with an industrial (slow moving) steering bar.

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/frontload.html

A representative of AMBUS came out yesterday, ordered regular motorized bikes for him and his wife.

AMBUS builds/buys/rehabs bikes and trikes for the disabled, and he is exploring if motors can be added to the services.

I had seen pictures of lots of "reverse trikes", I think it was in Denmark.

Today he called, said his Chinese missionary contacts e-mailed, are not familiar with such a bike being used/made in China for import to AMBUS.

So, we were talking, and I mentioned the GREAT WELDING IDEAS I've seen on MB.com.

My starting question to you clever dudes are these:

Can't a regular 24" or 26" fork be modified/securly welded to have 2 forks, approximately 18-24" apart?

What space would seem best between such modified forks for stability?

I would pay for 2 proto-types, the neck and 2 forks, then add the handlebars here in Alabama, if you guys think this is do-able. :cool:

how much weight will the bike carry? how much can the bike weigh? how fast will the bike have to be capable of going? will I remember to look this post up again?

I'm thinking standard aluminum cruisers, 40-50 pound bikes, and if the rider is larger than 230 pounds, I would put the 33cc Tanaka on the back.

I'd put the slower mountain gears on them, so they'd get rapid acceleration, but more climbing power than speed.

if this is a trike i would go with a Honda GXH50 49.3 cc 2.50 hp. if its a bike i would go with a Mitsubishi TLE-43 43cc 2.20 hp. these are quality motors that will run without any problems. (or the Tanaka 47cc race motor 2.8 hp).

Something like this maybe, but with a single drive wheel at the rear?

2345_front_veiw_1.jpg

What I'm thinking of is taking a regular cruiser bike, with basic NON suspension front forks.....(I can't use the Drawing Board feature)....

Take 2 forks and cut them both at the neck. Take one neck, weld a 24" or maybe 30" bar at the bottom, and weld the two forks to the ends of the bar, allowing installation of two standard wheels on each side.

Then the neck is inserted thru the yoke and the regular handlebars are re-attached.

steering will be difficult unless the right geometry is applied, may be impossible without variable camber built in, just guessing but it seems like something to ponder as the concept incubates.

I thought about the steering, speed is going to have to be constrained anyway.

Thats why I was wanting one of these welders to build me a prototype, and I'll experiment with steering on one of the Avalons gathering dust in the back of the shop.

I'll pay them to use recycled forks for the experiment, let the welder use their judgement on the width of the thing. Just keeping in mind that I don't know if the AMBUS target is folks with arm or leg disabilties yet.

3 headsets is exactly what i would suggest....wow, how cool! ever try skis on the front? :devilish: :LOL:

Back