Welding petcock to gas tank?

INTP_ty

Local time
4:55 AM
Im thinking of removing the filter & welding the petcock to the gas tank. Has anyone done this?

Man, first gas tank leaked real bad, even with that Teflon tape. So on the next tank I try tightening it real good & man I snapped it right off.

The petcock (stock) is aluminum and the tank is steel so is the threaded outlet.So unless you switch to a steel petcock or aluminum tank your out of luck, The fiber washer that comes stock with the fitting doesn't seem to work for many folk's though I use them and have no issue,teflon tape and an oring will fix them just fine.Many people also have leaky studs from over tightening them.

You can stick the sharp end of a file into the broken threads to remove it if you don't have easy outs. If your kit didn't have a fiber washer with it, or it had the soft rubber washer then that's why it is leaking. The ones with fiber or hard rubber always seem to seal well for me. The soft rubber washers seems to squish out. If you don't want to wait for ordering a new petcock you can probably get one to fit your tank at home depot.

Back