Welding

Welding. Another one of them rabbit holes. But a good hobby/skill to learn. I recommend buying a mig welder with gas capabilities & can be upgraded or added on to. That way you can tig weld or get a spool gun. I highly recommend an auto-darkening Helmut. I would say a real world number on getting started is $1000 I recommend buying a name brand welder, just for the repairibility/parts availability as well.
Excellent advice DT.
When I decided I needed a welder I had to consider my age and current health state. I could be out of the hobby or welding in a minute and not see it coming.
If I needed something like my boat trailer welded I’d go to someone who is a welder.
For my jog pipe…I’m good enough for now.
I guess it all depends on how far you want to go with it.
After the piece below and 75% of a 1 pound spool I graduated to my pipe. It’s been on for 996 miles and still going.
With that said… I doubt I’d trust using a bike frame I welded up. 🤣

Attachments

• D3CDFBE7-C47D-4E13-9ED6-09087BF1D47C.jpeg
    D3CDFBE7-C47D-4E13-9ED6-09087BF1D47C.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 61
  • ED59ED8F-F59F-4F88-93EA-7B3EB4233035.jpeg
    ED59ED8F-F59F-4F88-93EA-7B3EB4233035.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 62
Lmao this is a good subject for impulserocket to write up or chime in on. 🤣😂🤣 He has good penmanship.
TIG is also called GTAW, Gas Tungsten Arc Welding. In either instance, the tungsten is a non-consumable used to create a plasma arc shielded with an inert gas to puddle a weld, and filler material is hand fed as needed. Tungsten is used because it has an insanely high melting point of over 6,100 degrees F.

Think electric Oxy-Acet welding, but with a lot more focus heat and control of that heat.

Excellent advice DT.
When I decided I needed a welder I had to consider my age and current health state. I could be out of the hobby or welding in a minute and not see it coming.
If I needed something like my boat trailer welded I’d go to someone who is a welder.
For my jog pipe…I’m good enough for now.
I guess it all depends on how far you want to go with it.
After the piece below and 75% of a 1 pound spool I graduated to my pipe. It’s been on for 996 miles and still going.
With that said… I doubt I’d trust using a bike frame I welded up. 🤣
No I hear you. That's why I said rabbit hole. I got over $8000 just in my welder. There is nothing wrong starting with a smaller machine. I do recommend getting a welder with gas capabilities & definitely a auto-darkening helmut. Lmao I had a old man that started me in welding, lol his famous quote was: If it breaks the ground will catch you!!!🤣😂🤣

I tried a shield with just #10 shade. You can’t see until the arc strikes. I ended up switching it out for auto darkening. Much better…

Flux core mig looks crappy, but they make structural welds that are pretty easy to get a hand of. Maybe an hour or two of practice before you feel confident enough to weld onto your bike.
My small grinder cleans it up pretty quick for an amateur. I use thin sheet metal around my welds and just leave the part being welded open. The sheet metal catches all the splatter… or the lions share of it.

More work this way I know but for small stuff it does ok for me. It comes out cleaner.

Back