Well I guess life ain't all bad

Here in the WV eastern panhandle it's a rare occasion to have snow at Christmas. This year it snowed eight inches nov 12th . This past year the spring rains came and stayed all year. I worry about the kind of winter we may face. Still there are nice days. I'm a kite flier with a bunch of kites. I have small to large single line kites some 16' across. This Sunday it will be in the fiftys wind 10 mph and I'll spend the day with a smile on my face. I tie the kites to the bike and ride to a local farm to fly. Many local people stop to enjoy it and ask questions. A pleasant time for all. Especially the kids. I always take some small dollar store kites for the kids to fly and if it's ok with mom and dad take home with them. Any other kite people out there? Tom

Arty

Tom:
I haven't flown my kites for quite a while now, but I get the allure. Sadly - the motorized bike has managed to take up all my spare time.

junglepig

I love kites too. I enjoyed flying them with my kids when they were young. I always kept a couple stashed in the [minivan, ugh!] so if we were at an appropriate place and needed some entertainment, I could pull out a little parafoil or something and keep them entertained.

Arty

Yeah:
Whenever I travel to a foreign country I usually bring a small kite along.
A few years ago my wife and I were on a fairly small motorized boat cruising down the Nile in Egypt, and I brought out a little kite with the Canadian flag on it to fly off the back of the boat. - - Within less than five minutes almost the whole crew of the boat were congregated around the deck arguing about who was next to fly it - laughing and ribbing about who was the best flier.
It was a real treat for all of us, and was it ever nice to see that Maple Leaf flying in the Egyptian breeze..

Well I have never been to another country and never cruised down the Nile .I'm a disabled old hippie from the 60s but one thing for sure kites seem to put a smile on everyones face no matter there problems or station in life. Anyone interested I have some large kites for sale to get wood for the winter. Tom

LewieBike

I used to have a few Indian fighter kites, I like that they're not too expensive, but being made of tissue and Bamboo tend to be fragile. Their inherent instability when you let out line, and then they can be made to go straight by pulling slightly, is a big thrill. They're subtle. I've tried to make similar ones from Mylar and Bamboo but they don't fly with the same grace as the authentic Indian Fighters.

Well I have kites of all types. Everything from dollar store two buck kites to $350 gomberg quality ones and all in between. I'm always looking for people with kites in the closet they are willing to part with so as to give the kites another chance to fly. I look at it that the kite is flying not me flying the kite. I'm just helping it have a chance to soar. Let me know if you have any kites you want someone to care for.. Tom