Well, it's not a motorbike....but

frizzy

Local time
3:38 PM
I was at an auction on Sunday for classic motorcycles, etc. A gentleman was selling off most of his collection of vintage Cushman Scooters at no reserve. Well, I bought one. It's a 1947 Cushman model 50 step thru scooter. Runs great, rebuilt engine, trans. and no rust. I suppose I'll restore it when I have the time. It's a real piece of American History. Here's some pictures.

Attachments

• CIMG0041.jpg
    CIMG0041.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 341
  • CIMG0043.jpg
    CIMG0043.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 280
  • CIMG0044.jpg
    CIMG0044.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 288
  • CIMG0047.jpg
    CIMG0047.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
It's good.

There was one of those in the showroom of a local International Harvester dealer for years.

They shut their doors a few years ago. I wonder what's become of it.

Very neat. I wish I had known about that auction (and I do check Auction Zip every week). I would have been there too had I known. I guess it was over 50 miles away from me as that is my default search area. Was it near Springfield?

Yes, it was at Wm. Bunch Auction House. Right on Rt 202 near US Rt. 1 in Concordville, Pa. It's there 9th annual Classic Motorcycle Aution. A lot of really cool vintage stuff was sold. I go every year, usually just to enjoy the auction, but this year they had this Cushman collection. WOW what a surprise. Great deals on all of the scooters. The seller is a really neat guy who had them for years, rebuilt and took care of them all.

Last edited:
Hmmm, that's within my range on AuctionZip. I wonder how I missed that?
Here's a neat 1943 Cushman my brother has. It's a model of which only eight were built, all prototypes for the military. It never went into production. We feel the likely cause for that was that is was too unstable, too tippy. Only two are still thought to exist.

Attachments

• Cushman.jpg
    Cushman.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
WOW. What a rare cushman, I love it. When I was in the service (1965) My sergant used to ride around the base in a vintage Vespa scooter. Oh wait, back then it was a current model, not vintage. Oh well 35 years later, it's now would be a vintage vespa. LOL

The restoration is under way. I found a picture of what I would like my Cushman to look like when finished. What do ya think?

Attachments

• CIMG0044.jpg
    CIMG0044.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 268
  • $(KGrHqEOKi8E2CmSiS6UBNqwRv59wg~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKi8E2CmSiS6UBNqwRv59wg~~_3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 278
Looks like your Cushman comes with the difficult to find parts like the seat and bodywork. It should be a fun restoration.

Do you know that here is a " Cushman Club of America ? " Also, " Dennis Carpenter " sells many restoratation parts. Do a search for both.

Back