Well Nice Knowing U All I Just Threw My Bike In The Garbage So See Ya!

How much does an HT cost by the time its done right? Just curious never seen that posted.

You just haven't read that much. I built my first with a used bike and a $107.50 engine 3 years ago. Upgraded hardware.... figure less then $150.00.

330370016517 LATEST JET SILVER 80CC BICYCLE MOTOR ENGINE KIT BIKE ! 1 $107.50 USD $107.50 USD

Built a bike with a NEW WalMart cruiser for less then $300.00. Has been posted many times.

Today, figure the cost of the engine ($166.00) and add something like $50.00 (or less) in upgraded parts, close to $216.00 plus whatever the bike cost. I have been riding mine for 3 years, and haven't put a wrench to the engine since I built it. Getting ready to swap frames again. A $60.00 increase in 3 years isn't too bad considering the fall of the dollar.

Last edited:
To make the whole kit road worthy about $216 thats not bad. Does that include making the whole kit right and not just the motor ie. gas tank, chain etc.

My first 2 stroke ht kit was around $115.00 shipped to my door.
the bike cost me $30.00 used, and it was 100% complete.
of corse, i did a custom paint job to the frame and tank (about $50.00 in paint and supplies).
I bought new tires, a new seat, different pedals, an expansion chamber, a high flow air filter, ngk spark plug, accell superstock 7 mm plug wire, billett aluminum grips, a sissy bar with shocks, a headlight that i modified into a speedometer, and other misc stuff.
But, I made a lot of my parts too, and did a lot of work to the bike to customize it.
so i have roughly $300.00 in it, and it's 100% totally unique AND it looks REALLY good, and it rides excellent. (in my opinion).

If you have the skills, the patients and the talent, you can make a totally cool, custom bike for fairly cheap.

A factor not discussed much is cost per mile. How much and what kind of duty do you expect? I remain pretty convinced a lot of bikes get assembled and aren't ridden much, a few miles locally for errands and trips around the neighborhood or such.

A good friend put around a thousand into a MAB, GEBE drive w/a Robin engine and a used but nice Gary Fisher he bought for $300 and commuted 10,000 miles over two years on it and it still running well. $1000 / by 10,000 = .10@mile.

A $300 MAB (bike and engine) that sees 1000 miles (a lot I think for most HTs) $300 / 1000 = .30@mile.

I don't look at it that way. I just ride my bikes for fun & I take them to car shows along with my car. its just a novelty hobby, and believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there that still don't know that these kits exist. when they see a custom bike with an engine on it, its like magic to them.

Which is totally cool and I bet your bikes get a lot of looks at the shows.
I've seen your bikes so when discussing budgets it probably also need be said you possess mad skills well beyond the average guy and I'd bet an already made decent investment in tools beyond most also that doesn't get entered into the dollar equation.

Thats why i like my kit. I have been riding for over 3months now and not one problem. I got over 500miles and haven't had to touch a thing. Simplicity is the key behind these motorized bikes. The more parts you have the more you have to break. I have an engine and a drive wheel. bolts to my bike with one bolt and i hook up my throttle cable and my bungee and im off. No clutch, no chains, no worries..:cool:

In The Garbage?

Which is totally cool and I bet your bikes get a lot of looks at the shows.
I've seen your bikes so when discussing budgets it probably also need be said you possess mad skills well beyond the average guy and I'd bet an already made decent investment in tools beyond most also that doesn't get entered into the dollar equation.

Gall Dern It, Where the heck am I when people do things like this? I sure could use a good parts bike.
And yer right Happy, Moto does have some MAD SKILLS with the tools to back him up.
Big Red.

I love it!
another guy who assembles the thing with the **** hardware that comes with the kit.
puts it all together right out of the box and expects motorcycle performance and reliability.
so because of incorrect installation, tuning and general knowledge.. his opinion is that ALL of these 2 stroke engine kits are junk.
It cracks me up because people get into these things, throw them together right out of the box, expecting motorcycle reliablitly and performance.
These china 2 stroke engines are nothing more than throw away 2 strokes. think about it, an entire engine kit costs around $150.00 - $200.00...what more do you want?
if we're buying the entire kit for that much, how much does it cost them to make them?
i'm guessing that it probably costs the manufacturers less than $50.00 to make one of these engines. the whole kit probably costs them less than $100.00 to put together.
you can make them last and be reliable if they are installed correctly, tuned right, and maintained.
My kit was $279 and i have hundreds of miles on it so far and not one problem.my old one got 5,000miles outta it then i gotta new one just cause it was getting old it still works it just lost power. The only problem i have ever had with my kit is i have had to clean the carb every once in a while or change a drive wheel every 1,000miles. No blow ups not once was i broke down (besides flat tires). Simplicity is the key behind these bike motors the more parts you have the more you have to fix.

To make the whole kit road worthy about $216 thats not bad. Does that include making the whole kit right and not just the motor ie. gas tank, chain etc.

$216.00 today is about the cheapest I could build a bike. On my bike, I had the bike sitting in the garage for years. Other then the engine itself with the mods I do, the only thing I did to the bike was put front and rear brakes on it (scraped off a old bike). The chain is stock, and I have a new chain ($13.00 from Tractor Supply) waiting for when I change frames. Tires and tubes were fine, tuned up the spokes and trued the wheel. Cleaned and repacked all bearings. That's all. OF course all my builds have the roller clutch bracket that I made. No repainting, but will when I change frames. I needed to build it as fast as I could as my son NEEDED it for every day transportation.

Last edited:
Back