Well oiled chain, what a difference!!!!

Local time
3:44 PM
I was chasing down a "popping" noise somewhere in the drivetrain of my new, HT equipped bike. I thought the chain might be too lose, then maybe too tight. Checked the sprocket and idler gear and was starting to fear the bearings were going south.

When riding the bike, I would feel a vibration and hear a popping noise that I thought was the links of the chain "popping" over the sprocket teeth. When I pulled in the clutch going down a steep hill, I started getting concerned that the chain might pop off, it was knocking around that badly. I got looking at the chain and noticed that a couple of links were not moving smoothly and wouldn't straighten out completely. I decided to oil them a little bit with some air tool oil. I started at the master link and put a couple of drops on each link. Then I took it out for a ride. Immediately, I could tell a difference and, by the end of my 1.5 mile ride, it was running so smooth! I almost couldn't believe that oil on the chain could make such a difference. I'm mechanically linclined but this is my first motorized bike. I didn't put enough importance on a well oiled chain. Now, I'm a believer! I hope this might help someone else smooth out the ride on their ride.

Sure, I had to clean up the wide whites when I was done but, that was a small price to pay for the improvement on this ride!

Attachments

• Finished2.jpg
    Finished2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 699
I know there is no golden pill that will cure all things but, I was amazed at how much this improved the ride. I'm sure many MB'ers overlook this one fact or dismiss it, like I did. Hope it helps!

That got me thinking about what does everybody use to oil up their chains? Do you use oil exclusively or maybe one of those aerosol deals for motorcycles? Something that doesn't sling off of the chain so much would be great.

as we ride those things

maybe one of those aerosol deals for motorcycles?

yes that stuff is excellent
had a can once
lasted for a long long time

today Iam just using sometimes light grease most times car oil
is known to pick up some dirt
many will say this is not the best
been working pretty well though for fifty something years now

as we ride those things

Got a can of that spray stuff. I'll try it next time and see how it does. IF it stays on the chain and doesn't wind up on my tires, frame, fenders, saddle bags and back, I'll be happy.

Just as an update, I've used the spray lube and it worked okay. Again, I started to have some links that were too tight. I went out and purchased a new chain at Wal Mart. Since I have a Grubee kit, it came with a 410 chain, not the heavier 415 chain. I bought the larger of the two chains that Wally world had and put it on. Actually, it took two packages of chain, $7 each, with master links. Works great and I'm now trying this stuff called Clean Ride. Again, I'm touchy on my wide whites and the idea that this stuff would work and keep my chain clean, it's worth a try for me. Just wanted to update the thread and all the fellow MB'ers who might see it.

I use this green chain oil (cant remember what its called) and give all the chains a healthy dose of it once every couple of months. I usually start the bike and rest it on its stand with the drive train engaged and apply the fluid. If you get stiff links, sometimes you can wriggle them from side to side and they free up.

Back