Well, she's about to blow at 2,238 miles

Yeah man that sucks. Could you at least fit a 4 stroker chinese engine in your frame? I haven't heard too many bad things about those with the exception of the JL Hoot gearbox being garbage and the grubee gearbox whining a lot. It's not quite as much as a GEBE or Staton and probably wouldn't last quite as long but it would allow you to keep your moondog frame mounted and should last a good amount of time. I haven't heard anything about those engines vibrating themselves to ****. In fact I may just convert my stingray XL to Grubee 4-stroke since the darn thing vibrates way too much as it is now for my liking and I just don't trust the reliability factor. I think the grubee gearbox can fit on the honda GXH50 too if the chinese clone ever dies.

I run 48cc happytimes.
I use 48 or 50 toothed sprockets.
I run WOT. (i'm guessing...more fuel...more lube)
26-30 mph.

I prolly have 6000 miles on one of them. (and still going.....)

Slick 50 won't do anything except decrease the amount of money in your wallet. PFTE (teflon) has long been dispelled as an effective additive in motor oils. It won't do anything to fix or prevent engine damage. Its folks who believe in this bunk that make these shysters millionaires.

I don't know much about these Chinese engines, but from all the reports of huge amounts of vibration, my guess would be that the engines aren't balanced and probably don't have adequate (or ANY) counterbalancing built into the cranks. If that's the case, they'll NEVER last very long - they'd be beating themselves to death from the moment they are started.

Warner

I don't know much about these Chinese engines, but from all the reports of huge amounts of vibration, my guess would be that the engines aren't balanced and probably don't have adequate (or ANY) counterbalancing built into the cranks. If that's the case, they'll NEVER last very long - they'd be beating themselves to death from the moment they are started.

Warner

Keeps you buying $150 motors once a year. I'd rather just buy a $250 motor that'll last me 5 years.

My first Chineese motor and project bike

I instinctivly put some lithographic rubber (5 ply rubber and canvas) to shock absorb vibration on any motor. Ridgid mounts do not make sense on a car or a 2 stroke shaker.
I keep the heads torqued to 12.5 foot pounds and running Homelite chainsaw oil at the moment 20:1. I've got some ashless Seadoo oil but do not know what is best for longevity. More research i guess...

Oh, I have one mile on first ride :)

......So, I am going to have to come up with $100 to purchase another crappy time. I'll try not to ride this one as much. That way I can save up for a quality kit before it blows.

Why not disassemble your current engine and find out what is wrong with it before it "blows up"? Seems to me that replacement parts are readily available online and on eBay.

The sinophobia on this forum is rampant, and while these bicycle motors may not be the best engineered, nor the highest quality, it doesn't mean that everything produced in China is junk. For example, I am typing this response on a IBM ThinkPad laptop that was made in China. It is three years old and I never had a problem with it. I also own a Chinese made motorcycle (a Honda Trail 70 replica) and it is better than the original they copied. The new version features electric starting, and a larger displacement engine. And at a little more than half the price (but over twice as fast) of a Whizzer NE5, it is a transportation bargain.

Why not disassemble your current engine and find out what is wrong with it before it "blows up"? Seems to me that replacement parts are readily available online and on eBay.

The sinophobia on this forum is rampant, and while these bicycle motors may not be the best engineered, nor the highest quality, it doesn't mean that everything produced in China is junk. For example, I am typing this response on a IBM ThinkPad laptop that was made in China. It is three years old and I never had a problem with it. I also own a Chinese made motorcycle (a Honda Trail 70 replica) and it is better than the original they copied. The new version features electric starting, and a larger displacement engine. And at a little more than half the price (but over twice as fast) of a Whizzer NE5, it is a transportation bargain.

The manufacturing capabilities in China are NOT the problem, and they can and DO make some very high quality stuff. The problem is quality control. If Boeing is having parts made there, you can BET that THEY (Boeing) are doing the quality control and will not accept substandard parts. The quality control is the problem, not the manufacturing capabilities in China. But quality control costs money, and many companies farm stuff out to China because it's so much cheaper.....and follow through with that thought by not wanting to pay for adequate quality control. Much of the quality control that I hear about going on with these Chinese kits is happening HERE, either from the few vendors that seem to care or by the people buying this kits after they have received them.

Warner

PS - The Honda trail 70's are the coolest!

Last edited:

Well, here is my problem. As soon as I pull the motor off, I am back to pedaling everywhere I go :eek: I can't have that! I have been limping it around town. I am not sure what I am going to do. I might try to rebuild my spare motor. I am going to run a better quality oil in my next motor. I been using cheap super tech oil from the Wal-Mart because I am broke.

Is it true that the 50cc engines tend to last longer than the 70cc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back