Well... That Sounded Bad

FrizzleFried

Local time
6:45 PM
Took Phan out today... 2 miles in... a very bad sound started coming forth from the engine area. Temps were upper 100's only... and the god awful noise changed when I pulled in the clutch. When I let off the clutch it pretty much confirmed my suspicions ... I believe. When I let off the clutch there was no feathering... it went from 100% clutch to 100% no clutch.

I think my clutch took a dump.

I walked it home.

Before I open it up to take a look I figured I'd shoot over Bicycle-Engines an email... being it's still under warranty...

I ain't never worked on a clutch before.

Fun.

The clutches are super simple and easy to work on. Make sure to check the shaft bearings while you are at it.

It's a good idea to get familiar with the clutch because Phantoms are just powerful enough to be pretty hard on them, and the red clutch pads they come with are probably the least well suited to the task. Mine were pretty much toast after break-in. I swapped them out for some green ABS units I found linked on here and so far they are holding up ok. If not, I have a few dozen of the classic black and white ones that I know work. I just wanted to try something less aggressive.

I used a rough green scotchbrite and some brake cleaner to clean up and lightly texture both the front and back plates as well (and to degrease them). Same procedure used to de-glaze brakes. It might not do anything, but it really can't hurt.

I also put an extra turn on the main spring when I had my clutch apart for a bit better clamping force.

I just filled out a warranty form that B.E. sent over. They mentioned photos... I re-iterated I'd not removed anything from the engine and asked if they'd prefer do or if a video of the horrid sound would be better...

...awaiting a reply.

What do y'all think they're going to do for a bad clutch?

Is it easy to repair/replace a clutch? (Durr... Impulse answered that question above).

I guess the first step is to actually... open up the clutch side case...

I've been told to dig in and take photos. I'm going to bet you that SOMETHING came loose in there and got jammed up and that is what that grinding/whining sound was...

We'll see.

They want me to take off the jug too. I figure I'll start with the clutch area. If I find the culprit there, maybe I won't have to pull the jug...

Well poop. Looks like i gotta see if I have one of them gear pullers. I 'think' one of my kits came with one.

Back