Well... That Sounded Bad

Mail showed up today... piston came...

IT'S THE OLD VERSION! :(

PHAN_PISTONDIFFERENCES.jpg

Evidently they still are sending OLD VERSION pistons when you get "just a piston". I asked Molly about it. She had NO IDEA the new version came with a different piston. I sent her the photo above. She's going to inquire. I really would rather have the piston on the left... though looking at the edge of the piston on the right... it sure has a much nicer machine to the it, huh?

But DAMN look at the size difference in windows...

MASSIVE different... look how much of the "structural" material is removed from the piston on the right.

That just makes me nervous.

Back to the "waiting game"....

>sigh<

Mail showed up today... piston came...

IT'S THE OLD VERSION! :(

View attachment 186610

Evidently they still are sending OLD VERSION pistons when you get "just a piston". I asked Molly about it. She had NO IDEA the new version came with a different piston. I sent her the photo above. She's going to inquire. I really would rather have the piston on the left... though looking at the edge of the piston on the right... it sure has a much nicer machine to the it, huh?

But DAMN look at the size difference in windows...

MASSIVE different... look how much of the "structural" material is removed from the piston on the right.

That just makes me nervous.

Back to the "waiting game"....

>sigh<
That's lame. Hopefully they make it right. I wasn't kidding when.I said the windows were half the size lol

Heck...it looks like they moved the ring pins (what are those called) slightly in the new version as well...
Yep, they sure did from what I can see. Makes sense since they moved the port edges a bit.

Honestly, the windows were oversized on the old piston to begin with. The new smaller windows are all positives in my opinion. The Phantom already has a lot of intake duration so it doesn't need massive windows.

Well... I expect they'll send me a correct piston. I'll (of course) offer to send this one back... of which they'll LIKELY decline... which means my piston collection is expanding...

Does anyone remember when I said on another post that only the new V-3 engine kit would be having the new piston and jug configuration as they still had quite a few of the replacement V-2 jugs and piston kits in stock???...Just saying...At that time I also mentioned that you should order any replacements for that kit by phone to be sure that it was the V-3 version that they would be sending rather than the V-2 version...Again, just saying.

I also informed Molly that the ring pin locations moved slightly as well.

NOW... I am about to say something I have no proof of... so I am not 100% sure... but I get the "feeling" that I am right...

I think "Molly" is simply the name that the "support department" uses as a front to deal with customers. I am not 100% sure of this... but I've had enough discussions with them now where they don't "remember" conversations had just a day or two prior to come to this conclusion...

Again, no proof... just a "feeling".

:)

Welp... there IS a limit to their support.

Hello Jon,

All right so got with the team and turns out we now have two different style pistons and there was no issue with the piston itself according to the manufacture it was the cylinder intake ports that were causing issues.

So with this we cannot send one under warranty and if you do order just the phantom piston kits they will come with that style you just received.

But as mentioned both can work now the re-designed cylinder can work with both pistons so all is good.

Thanks,

Molly

They are telling me that I can not get a V3 piston on it's own... my reply:

AEdFTp57jfmzlqotP6zZjqxw6Ra2FkY1-hNzo8fElEJVuA=s40-p

Molly...

Think about it... if there was no problem with the prior piston, why would they re-design it? I know PERSONALLY of multiple people who's pistons have broken in their Phantoms. Why would they move the ring-pins?

Since the initial "new version" piston was bad... I would think a replacement would be the exact same piston.

Now, I have very little room to stand on this... as this is a replacement motor... but I will tell you FOR SURE that if I'd purchased this Phantom... then got the bad piston... then got the old piston as a replacement... i would "demand" a new v3 piston.

Now, being that I dont have that room to stand... I would like to PURCHASE a V3 piston. I am not comfortable putting a V2 piston in a V3 head. How do we make that happen?

Thanks!

Jon

Now, I am telling you this... if I had PURCHASED this engine I would be very much DEMANDING a V3 piston. As it stands ... I really have little leg to stand on. Hell, if I got a v2 complete engine, that would have been what broke... so.... BUT not being able to get a V3 piston by itself is going to become problematic for these folks... and fast... especially once photos of the different start spreading.

At this point if they simply refuse to sell me a V3 piston... I think I am going to repair my V3 damaged piston vs running V2.

Back