Well... That Sounded Bad

Welp... there IS a limit to their support.

They are telling me that I can not get a V3 piston on it's own... my reply:

Now, I am telling you this... if I had PURCHASED this engine I would be very much DEMANDING a V3 piston. As it stands ... I really have little leg to stand on. Hell, if I got a v2 complete engine, that would have been what broke... so.... BUT not being able to get a V3 piston by itself is going to become problematic for these folks... and fast... especially once photos of the different start spreading.

At this point if they simply refuse to sell me a V3 piston... I think I am going to repair my V3 damaged piston vs running V2.
If they can't get you a new piston, then just clean it up with some light sanding and run it. If it destroys the motor, make them send you a new motor. If not, it works fine and no problems.

To be fair to the old design, your last piston didn't fail you.

I would be giving them a piece of my mind about not having parts to support warranty claims on the new motors, however. That's ridiculous.

Exactly. If I "paid" for this motor I wouldn't be happy. As it stands... it is what it is... I'll live. I "did" ask if there was "any way" to get the piston ... and offered to pay for it (would be happy to at this point). I'm not really angry or anything... but yeah... I don't really want to use the old piston style in the new "style" head... and being I have the other here...

Exactly. If I "paid" for this motor I wouldn't be happy. As it stands... it is what it is... I'll live. I "did" ask if there was "any way" to get the piston ... and offered to pay for it (would be happy to at this point). I'm not really angry or anything... but yeah... I don't really want to use the old piston style in the new "style" head... and being I have the other here...
Swap your old jug, piston, rings, etc over. Have a spare jug and the new piston on standby.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This may help ease your mind some sbout that damaged new piston.

The piston and head in the pic has 180+ miles on it since getting trashed like it is.
After the lower crank bearing rollers went thru the engine I changed out the crank and reused everything else.
The ring, cylinder, and piston sides had no damage. I hit the head and piston top with #400 wet paper and then buffed it with some aluminum compound.
When the crank failed and I looked at replacing everything that had some damage, I was left with the case halves, clutch, and counter sprocket. I figured I’d give it a try.

It hasn’t come apart…yet.

Attachments

• 57C2E893-4DE9-4182-BE3B-55185E083321.jpeg
    57C2E893-4DE9-4182-BE3B-55185E083321.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 43
The ring(s) have the lions share of contact in the cylinder. The piston sides and skirt do touch but I’m not sure how much above the rings make contact.
With that said.. it’s still an individual’s judgement call whether to use a component that’s not perfect.
In my case I had already trashed the engine. It wasn’t like a new one.

That's an option...

...or I could be a real son-of-a-b**ch and buy a $25.00 clutch rebuild kit that comes with all the parts I need including the bevel gear to fix my first motor outright...

...leaving a whole spare MOTOR.

:D

...decisions ...decisions.
Honestly, that is what I would do. New bevel gear and clutch and maybe replace the crank seal behind it on that side while you are there to be safe and keep running it.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back