Well... That Sounded Bad

FrizzleFried

Local time
11:37 AM
UPDATE: The damage is going to be covered under Bicycle-Engines.com's warranty. If this result is what could happen when you don't grease those gears enough it would behoove them to include said instruction in their break-in documentation. I know I'm going to much more cognizant of the situation...

Question ... if I end up strapping this top end to a new bottom end ... is that going to warrant the extended break in period again or can I get away with keeping off the throttle for a tank of gas or so?

ImpulseRocket89

Local time
12:37 PM
UPDATE: The damage is going to be covered under Bicycle-Engines.com's warranty. If this result is what could happen when you don't grease those gears enough it would behoove them to include said instruction in their break-in documentation. I know I'm going to much more cognizant of the situation...

Question ... if I end up strapping this top end to a new bottom end ... is that going to warrant the extended break in period again or can I get away with keeping off the throttle for a tank of gas or so?
Nice of them to warranty it.

If you use the current top end on a new bottom you wouldn't need to be so cautious in terms of break in other than the initial start up and keeping track of the head nuts after heat cycles.

FrizzleFried

Local time
UPDATE: It seems that the fine folks at Bicycle-Engines.com are doing me a solid. The latest update from them indicates that they are going to not only send me a bottom end... but a top end as well. I want to be 100% CLEAR that I have been 100% HONEST with how this all went down...

My initial email to them read:

I am so bummed. I am 346 miles in on this motor... still running 25:1... and when I went on a short 2 mile jaunt today...

>GRRRRRAAGGGGGG< ... the most god awful noise...

I figured "Oh crap... the rings finally died" but I don't think that's it. I'm 90% sure it's the clutch. With the clutch IN the sound is different... when I let it out... it no longer slowly grabs... it grabs instantly. I think the clutch has taken a dumb.

What should I do at this point? Warranty is still in effect... until February 1st.

Please take note of the paragraph "I figured "Oh crap... the rings finally died" but I don't think that's it. I'm 90% sure it's the clutch. With the clutch IN the sound is different... when I let it out... it no longer slowly grabs... it grabs instantly. I think the clutch has taken a dumb.".

To make a long story short... there was multiple times that I was asked if I needed a top end. Multiple times I repeated that I thought the top end was likely fine... when asked yet AGAIN I did say...

Honestly... the engine was running when this went. Now, I am sure I'm gunna need a new set of gaskets for the head at the very least... and if you think it's best I go with a new head/cylinder ... obviously I will defer to you. I'm not really looking to get something for nothing... just want a nice running bike (I really do baby these things... I'm too damn old to race `em around). I'm really new at all this stuff and I'm just sort of "feeling" my way along to be honest. :)

...she then ASKED AGAIN.... to which I replied:

I have not pulled the head at all to be honest. Once I confirmed my suspicions with the clutch area I stopped pulling... but I can/will if you think it's necessary.

WOULD I like a full top/bottom? Sure. I'd like to know I am not using a part that is potentially damaged (even if just a little) versus the alternative to be 100% honest. Would I mind another break-in? Not really... I run my bikes pretty much the same after break-in... very very carefully... I'm none-too-keen on the idea of ending up on the ground at my age (51 nearly)...

...to which she replied...

I think in this case looking over all pictures and warranty claim form and all notes, I think it’s best to be safe then sorry and I think replacing the cylinder kit too is the best. I see in the first email you mentioned that the rings failed, so I am almost betting that cylinder and piston are probably damaged too and I won’t want that damage the new bottom end.

At this point... I thanked her and confirmed my address.

I really was as honest as I could be... and to maintain the karma on this whole transaction I'll swap out engines and only use the extra engine as a parts engine... (even though I could just repair the bottom end as suggested above)...

FrizzleFried

Local time
BTW... I just noticed in my initial email I mentioned 25:1 ... that is an error... 20:1. This bike hasn't seen anything other than 20:1... I did put the proper ratio in the warranty submission however.

noah9988

Local time
1:37 PM
About the grease on the clutch gears; I find that most of it slings off the gears very quickly even when using Lucas red n tacky. That said it seems to still have a layer of grease on the gear even after most of it is gone. When taking off my clutch cover I usually find a little pile of grease around the small bevel gear.

FrizzleFried

Local time
Welp... just got confirmation that a "new engine only" is on the way. Shipping tomorrow.

Looks like I'll be breaking a new head/piston in...

Welp... that just solidifies my opinion of Bicycle Engines. I would HIGHLY recommend using them for your next motorized bike motor purchase.

ImpulseRocket89

Local time
About the grease on the clutch gears; I find that most of it slings off the gears very quickly even when using Lucas red n tacky. That said it seems to still have a layer of grease on the gear even after most of it is gone. When taking off my clutch cover I usually find a little pile of grease around the small bevel gear.
That's why I use a stiff brush and put a thin layer on. It doesn't need a lot to begin with, just not dry. A thin coat on all the teeth all around does the job nicely, and without all the mess of it slinging off - and potentially getting in the clutch.
Welp... just got confirmation that a "new engine only" is on the way. Shipping tomorrow.

Looks like I'll be breaking a new head/piston in...

Welp... that just solidifies my opinion of Bicycle Engines. I would HIGHLY recommend using them for your next motorized bike motor purchase.
Well, congrats. You could still fix the old one IMHO. If not, I volunteer as tribute to take it off your hands. Wouldn't want it getting in your way ;)

ImpulseRocket89

Local time
Source on that "better quality" bevel gear? I'm thinking that might be a worthy upgrade to the new bottom end...
I just ordered a cdhpower brand gear. If it actually is better in terms of material, it's hard to say, but it was at least concentric and had a better surface finish. It hasn't broken yet, so that's a good sign lol