Well... That Sounded Bad

I would also like to point out that the window in that piston is just about useless with that much bridge and so little port opening.

That jug is pretty much a duplicate of a saw jug, which was meant for a piston port. That's why the ports are shaped that way. That intake is narrow, could probably use widening by 2mm each side.

I would like to see a pic with 2 toothpicks in the top of the transfers to see which way the flow is going. From the pic it looks like it is going toward the intake on the intake side but can't really tell on the exhaust side though.
The intake shape now is a bit smaller than a typical 460 saw cylinder. The v2 and v1 it was actually a bit wider. This works out fine considering the inlet at the flange side is a decent amount smaller than the saws too. That is why I opened mine up by port matching it to the reed block.

The transfers heavily favor the intake side in regards to how they are aimed. They are almost a perfect copy of a 460 in that regard. They also operate with a higher "pop" pressure than is typical of the case fed transfer design of a typical CG motor.

The transfer design is part of the reason the saw cylinders are so efficient and powerful.

The intake shape now is a bit smaller than a typical 460 saw cylinder. The v2 and v1 it was actually a bit wider. This works out fine considering the inlet at the flange side is a decent amount smaller than the saws too. That is why I opened mine up by port matching it to the reed block.

The transfers heavily favor the intake side in regards to how they are aimed. They are almost a perfect copy of a 460 in that regard. They also operate with a higher "pop" pressure than is typical of the case fed transfer design of a typical CG motor.

The transfer design is part of the reason the saw cylinders are so efficient and powerful.
Yes, that's the way they should go, keeps the charge in the cylinder instead of half going out the exhaust port. But the holes in the piston are too far apart, I bet that bridge in the center covers half the intake port.

Yes, that's the way they should go, keeps the charge in the cylinder instead of half going out the exhaust port. But the holes in the piston are too far apart, I bet that bridge in the center covers half the intake port.
I don't disagree on the piston. They went too far the other direction, likely to drop all the warranty claims lol

I went back and looked at one of my unused Phantom pistons and compared it to the new one. The bridge is the same width as far as I can tell. They shrank the windows from the outer edges to make them narrower just a bit, likely to prevent machining into the main structure of the skirt as well as to match the new port width. They also greatly reduced the height of the windows both top and bottom.

Can the bridge just be cut out, will it be better then
You could. I doubt it would actually have much effect on power though. The port shape is designed to throw the charge to the sides anyway, and the windows tend to match the port width. Still, if you so desired this would probably be the easiest/best way to help increase window size if desired. There is definitely plenty of skirt left top and bottom to support the piston.

Welp... Molly just confirmed a new piston + the gaskets will be shipped shortly.

Honestly guys... when it comes to warranty stuff... and "replacement" service in general... I have absolutely ZERO complaints with www.Bicycle-Engines.com ... and would highly recommend them for engine purchases...

These guys stand behind their 6 month warranty...

Back