West Virginia Motorized Bicycle Laws

Anton

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
5:14 AM
Anton submitted a new resource:

West Virginnia Motorized Bicycle Laws

A motorized bicycle is defined as a moped in West Virginia. A moped is defined as a motor-driven cycle with:
  • 2 to 3 wheels.
  • Foot pedals to permit muscular propulsion.
  • An independent power source with a maximum of 2hp.
  • A combustion engine with a maximum piston displacement of 50ccs.
  • A maximum top speed of no more than 30mph on a flat surface.
  • A power drive system that functions directly or...

Read more about this resource...

hello , I kayak and have ridden in preston county WV and that's good country for MB as well. from what I saw u can drive anything around those parts. there are more sxs and 4 wheelers at the gas station then cars its wild. I love it. I think I am gonna put on a 56 tooth and go ride trails there sometime I am out there kayaking .

Depends on if WV recognizes a bicycle with a motor as a motor vehicle or not, needing a DL in order to legally operate. In CO you can get a DUI while operating any vehicle. While on a MAB no DL issues will come up because a DL is not required to operate a bicycle. Established by court precedent here unless the law changes.

The biggest issue for interpreting the "motorbike" law in any state is the fact that you have to look at multiple statues and in each one how do they define "motor vehicle" or "motorcycle" or "moped' or "motorized bike" (gas or electric?) In Florida not only does it require a moped and gas motorbike to be registered but not titled, it requires all of the safety equipment to be included such as headlight, brake lite mirror and horn. turn signals are optional.

You must also read and understand:

Driver's Licenses
Motor Vehicle Registration and Licensing
Motorized bikes (Gas or electric)

In Florida you would find that you do not need a license to operate a Moped (which a gas motorbike is defined as ) in the vehicle licensing and registration. But in the section of "driver's license" it defines a motor vehicle (which requires a license) to INCLUDE a moped.... So you need to be over 16 and have an "operator's license or drivers' license

Back