Whaddaya Think?

ImpulseRocket

Staff member
Local time
10:37 AM
Visiting a friends house helping them clean up some junk and they offered me this bike for free. I took it simply because it was free and for the most part still serviceable. It's a 26" 18spd mountain bike. I know nothing more about it than that other than I am assuming it is a Walmart bike of some kind. It sat in an open sided lean-to for a few years so it is a weird mix of weathered but ok all at the same time.

306353706-10159959779806992-5962550256140787125-n.jpg

The chain is pretty rusty and the front shifting mechanism is frozen up. The rear still works and the freewheel is functional despite the sprockets being super rusty. The front suspension forks are blown out completely and I am not sure if they are rebuildable in any way or if I am better off just buying or salvaging some cheap forks from somewhere else. Overall though it is pretty solid. All of the bearings are actually smooth and the wheels themselves are in good shape and true (the tires are rock hard and cracking).

It's not really a good sized bike for me though... That is the one draw back.

306280039-10159959779961992-5760836849727396624-n.jpg

I can just BARELY fit my "110" motor on the frame though. I figure if all else fails I can try to fix it up for cheap and donate it to a kid that needs a bike. I have a few parts laying around already and some new cable and housings as well.

Looks like an aluminum frame bike, all the steel bits are rusted but not the frame. Some young fellow would probably appreciate that to get back and forth to his first job.

That is one of Wally worlds bikes that run around $80 bucks new. I had one in the late 90's to try to get back into shape. I wouldn't waste any time on the rusted components because they're so cheap, even the forks but that's just me.

Looks like an aluminum frame bike, all the steel bits are rusted but not the frame. Some young fellow would probably appreciate that to get back and forth to his first job.
I never did check to see if the frame is aluminum or not but that is a good point. I think I will just try to clean it up and get it functional on the cheap and see if I can give it to somebody in need.
That is one of Wally worlds bikes that run around $80 bucks new. I had one in the late 90's to try to get back into shape. I wouldn't waste any time on the rusted components because they're so cheap, even the forks but that's just me.
It's a matter of cost as far as the rusted components go. Individually they are not expensive but if you add it all up you could simply buy a new similar bike from Walmart. I can restore some of them for almost nothing with just a bit of time and effort. Others would not be worth saving.

One thing I do have is a lot of vinegar and spay paint. Outside of maybe some cables I bet I could get this bike looking and functioning for 20 bucks and some elbow grease.

I never did check to see if the frame is aluminum or not but that is a good point. I think I will just try to clean it up and get it functional on the cheap and see if I can give it to somebody in need.

It's a matter of cost as far as the rusted components go. Individually they are not expensive but if you add it all up you could simply buy a new similar bike from Walmart. I can restore some of them for almost nothing with just a bit of time and effort. Others would not be worth saving.

One thing I do have is a lot of vinegar and spay paint. Outside of maybe some cables I bet I could get this bike looking and functioning for 20 bucks and some elbow grease.
A little rattle can spray can do wonders.

Anyone notice the sprockets are on the left side of that bike in 1 pic but on the right side in the other? Am I going crazy?

Looks like the left side to me here.
I will stick to what I said going by the first pic...The pic your seeing is nothing more than intense sunlight that is silhouetting the gears through the clear plastic protector that is not so transparent anymore...lol.

On the right side the Brand name is normal, on the left side it reads backwards. We have us a Columbo class mystery here folks.

Back