What 24" bike should I get?

Gidgetxp

Local time
5:58 PM
Hello. I've looked around on this forum but I didn't see any post with this direct question. I apologize if I missed it. I'm trying to find a 24" bike to put a motor on. The one I originally got has the space for the engine but won't fit to the correct angle and has some fender and frame in the way of the build. Can anyone here suggest the best frame I could buy? This is my first build, second try so I don't want to go all out until I know I can make it work.

When there’s a will there’s a way.

I’m small too..

You can ride anything you can reach the controls. You don’t need both feet on the ground.

I ride a 700cc class motorcycle and when I stop only one foot hits the ground. I almost have the back of my up knee on top the seat sometimes to get the ground foot flat.
It’s always been that way for me.

Dirt bikes sit very high with the long suspensions and I’ve had many.
I use to have someone hold the bike up so I could leave the mx gate with both feet on the pegs.

Be determined…

When there’s a will there’s a way.

I’m small too..

You can ride anything you can reach the controls. You don’t need both feet on the ground.

I ride a 700cc class motorcycle and when I stop only one foot hits the ground. I almost have the back of my up knee on top the seat sometimes to get the ground foot flat.
It’s always been that way for me.

Dirt bikes sit very high with the long suspensions and I’ve had many.
I use to have someone hold the bike up so I could leave the mx gate with both feet on the pegs.

Be determined…
I can't do tall dirt bikes. My buddy offerd to let me ride his Yamaha 250 and I had to almost hop off to have a foot on the ground. I told him I wouldn't ride it.

Hello. I've looked around on this forum but I didn't see any post with this direct question. I apologize if I missed it. I'm trying to find a 24" bike to put a motor on. The one I originally got has the space for the engine but won't fit to the correct angle and has some fender and frame in the way of the build. Can anyone here suggest the best frame I could buy? This is my first build, second try so I don't want to go all out until I know I can make it work.
Wheel size has nothing to do with it. Frame size determines whether or not if the bike is right for you. Here's the best frame size calculator that I know of.

This calculator is based on having a custom built frame for your particular body build if you could afford to have it done. So with this knowledge you can then look for a manufactured frame that's as close as possible to your ideal custom built frame.

Finding the correct size frame is only part of it. The bike then has to be adjusted to fine tune the fit so that's its at the most comfortable level for you.

Because I am too short to ride a 26". I tried.
You need an OCC then.
1710109414804.png

To me, best thing to do is have a 26" frame with 24"wheels. You have all the room you need. All the fun you want. Lots of options.
Do you realize how tall you'd have to be in order to comfortably ride a 26" frame? A person would have to be 6'4" tall with 38" legs.

What you're actually telling the OP is to get a department store bicycle with 26" wheels and swap them out with 24" wheels. This may create some issues if the bike has rim brakes.

Although the OP may be able to touch his feet to the ground swapping out to smaller wheels; the frame still may not be a proper fit. Using a frame size too big or too small is going to cause you to have body aches. Though adjusting the bike can help to make it a little more comfortable.

On my bike the Sidewinder it's designed for someone around 5'10" tall, I'm 6'2" tall. So since I use an engine instead of human power, efficient tripod positioning isn't necessary. Therefore, I went for comfort. I did this by adjusting my seat height to the slight bent knee position when a crank is in the 6:00 position. I then raised my handlebar height to where I could ride in an upright position instead of a tripod position.

Depending on what you're seeking in purpose and performance will determine how to set up your bike. Most of us old timers have discovered is build a bike with mods that fits you and the bike/engine together. I don't let others ride my bike because I have it specifically set up to fit me. It's sort of like loaning someone your car, then having to readjust your mirrors and seat when you get it back.

Do you realize how tall you'd have to be in order to comfortably ride a 26" frame? A person would have to be 6'4" tall with 38" legs.

I know ya love to point out that frame size is not the same as tire size, But...

Bicycles today and yesterday are marketed and sold by their tire size so I don't think anyone's confused by 26" frame

Back