What 24" bike should I get?

Gidgetxp

Local time
5:45 PM
Hello. I've looked around on this forum but I didn't see any post with this direct question. I apologize if I missed it. I'm trying to find a 24" bike to put a motor on. The one I originally got has the space for the engine but won't fit to the correct angle and has some fender and frame in the way of the build. Can anyone here suggest the best frame I could buy? This is my first build, second try so I don't want to go all out until I know I can make it work.

Do you realize how tall you'd have to be in order to comfortably ride a 26" frame? A person would have to be 6'4" tall with 38" legs.

What you're actually telling the OP is to get a department store bicycle with 26" wheels and swap them out with 24" wheels. This may create some issues if the bike has rim brakes.

Although the OP may be able to touch his feet to the ground swapping out to smaller wheels; the frame still may not be a proper fit. Using a frame size too big or too small is going to cause you to have body aches. Though adjusting the bike can help to make it a little more comfortable.

On my bike the Sidewinder it's designed for someone around 5'10" tall, I'm 6'2" tall. So since I use an engine instead of human power, efficient tripod positioning isn't necessary. Therefore, I went for comfort. I did this by adjusting my seat height to the slight bent knee position when a crank is in the 6:00 position. I then raised my handlebar height to where I could ride in an upright position instead of a tripod position.

Depending on what you're seeking in purpose and performance will determine how to set up your bike. Most of us old timers have discovered is build a bike with mods that fits you and the bike/engine together. I don't let others ride my bike because I have it specifically set up to fit me. It's sort of like loaning someone your car, then having to readjust your mirrors and seat when you get it back.
This is a 26" frame with 24" wheels. I'm 5'7"
I also lowered the forks 1"1/2
20180617_162404_1542505792979.jpg
20180617_171248.jpg
20180623_152309_1542505787772.jpg
20180617_155658.jpg

I know ya love to point out that frame size is not the same as tire size, But...

Bicycles today and yesterday are marketed and sold by their tire size so I don't think anyone's confused by 26" frame
Marketing to causal riders department store sell some bikes by the tire size, but not all of them. However, those who become more serious quickly discover their body feels like they've been beaten when doing long rides. The smarter ones then visit a reputable bicycle shop for a fitting. Reputable bicycle shop bikes are sold by frame size only.

My point I was making, simply switching wheel size doesn't mean the frame is still a good fit for you. However, since we aren't having to use human power we can change our riding position from forward tripod to upright or possibly even recumbent.

Marketing to causal riders department store sell some bikes by the tire size, but not all of them. However, those who become more serious quickly discover their body feels like they've been beaten when doing long rides. The smarter ones then visit a reputable bicycle shop for a fitting. Reputable bicycle shop bikes are sold by frame size only.

My point I was making, simply switching wheel size doesn't mean the frame is still a good fit for you. However, since we aren't having to use human power we can change our riding position from forward tripod to upright or possibly even recumbent.
If your a short guy and your bike is 26" The easiest and most affordable solution is to mount 24" wheels

Then if you discover the bike is not comfortable Maybe you'll spend the $$$ and buy a new bike

Back