What are the newest laws on motorized bikes In Virginia?

Hey Folks, it’s June 2019 and want to know what if anyone has gone through the paperwork registering a motorized bike with the Virginia DMV. I’m purchasing the Phatmoto motorized bike, but swapping out the engine for a 4 stroke 49cc engine. Don’t want to get stuck registering it as a motorcycle and don’t need any type of inspections either of the bike. I read it’s a Moped possibly under Virginia law and needs to be registered as such. The Phatmoto does not come with a title and using the paperwork from my purchase it would show a 79cc engine which of course is not considered a moped. Any help or suggestions before I drop the $700 down on the bike?

Hey Folks, it’s June 2019 and want to know what if anyone has gone through the paperwork registering a motorized bike with the Virginia DMV. I’m purchasing the Phatmoto motorized bike, but swapping out the engine for a 4 stroke 49cc engine. Don’t want to get stuck registering it as a motorcycle and don’t need any type of inspections either of the bike. I read it’s a Moped possibly under Virginia law and needs to be registered as such. The Phatmoto does not come with a title and using the paperwork from my purchase it would show a 79cc engine which of course is not considered a moped. Any help or suggestions before I drop the $700 down on the bike?
Well since no one chimed in here i’ll give my 2 cents for whatever it’s worth. I have not registered a bike in Virginia but looking at the DMV instructions it appears to be self certification same as my state California. All they are really interested in is taking your money and getting you into “the system”. With that said why go the hassle of swapping engines just slap a 49cc sticker on the fan shroud. I’m not seeing anywhere that says a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin is required so leave your sales receipt at home. No inspection is required but you will have to fill out and sign the Moped Certification Form https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa31.pdf and pay the $20.25 Registration fee. After that you should be good to go! Good luck and please post back here how your experience went.

Source; https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#moped.asp

Yeah I completely missed the part below on the original Virginia DMV link.

"To register mopeds, owners should bring to DMV the ownership document (title or manufacturers certificate of origin) that came with the vehicle purchase.
Customers without an ownership document can bring in documentation such as a bill of sale with a completed "Moped and All-Terrain Vehicle Affidavit in Lieu of Title Certificate" (Form VSA-12M). Forms are also available at the information desk at any DMV customer service center or DMV Select location. If you have any questions about ownership documents for your moped, please contact us."

I'd still leave the original receipt at home and find a work around before doing an engine swap. Lost title, home built, gift, anything plausible to complete a affidavit in lieu of title cert. You can even get a title by mail from another state and use that. Again just my 2 cents.

The one thing to remember, to the best of your ability tell the truth. Most of these documents are signed under oath and perjury and in most states lies can turn in to a felony.

I see people using "Moped, Scooter or Pocket bike" laws, as they seem to be the next closest thing.

I'm wondering why no one seems to have checked the bicycle laws.

It would appear, at least from what I understand, the
Code of Virginia, Article 12, § 46.2-904 already
deals with what we understand to be a self assembled motor kit attached to a standard bicycle frame.

Virginia bicycle laws seem to class this as a "Motor-Driven Cycle," which is why it wouldn't be found in standard road vehicle laws. It is, in fact, still a bicycle.

The only things that seems to be universal between MDC's, Mopeds, etc is driving close to the right shoulder, curb, easement etc unless a) unsafe, b)when going into a lane that turns left or stays straight when there is a dedicated right turn lane and a few other instances.

I hope this helps.

I see people using "Moped, Scooter or Pocket bike" laws, as they seem to be the next closest thing.

I'm wondering why no one seems to have checked the bicycle laws.

It would appear, at least from what I understand, the
Code of Virginia, Article 12, § 46.2-904 already
deals with what we understand to be a self assembled motor kit attached to a standard bicycle frame.

Virginia bicycle laws seem to class this as a "Motor-Driven Cycle," which is why it wouldn't be found in standard road vehicle laws. It is, in fact, still a bicycle.

The only things that seems to be universal between MDC's, Mopeds, etc is driving close to the right shoulder, curb, easement etc unless a) unsafe, b)when going into a lane that turns left or stays straight when there is a dedicated right turn lane and a few other instances.

I hope this helps.
Pocket bike laws ? Their not allowed on the street,

Motorbicycles (motorbikes) follow the Moped rules

Traditionally a MDC has an Engine that's larger than 149cc
But it's a grey area when it comes to their top speed. If they qualify to be a Moped or a Motorcycle
Vintage Motorbikes from the early 1900s are known as Motor Driven Cycles

Back