What bike frame should i choose?

atomichurley

Local time
4:47 PM
My current bike is broken down and i'm really sick of this old mountain bike frame, so i have decided to take my zbox 2stroke 66cc motor off and put it onto a new bike frame. i want it to be able to go extremely fast what bike frame would you recommend?:cool:

Since you're in Australia, I can recommend one. I used a new 'Malvern Star' 'Octane' frame. (Love the 'Octane', considering our application) It comes in several frame sizes, all take 26" wheels, though.
18-speed, linear-pull brakes, front suspension, alloy frame. Lever-style gear shifters, so no changes necessary there.
The downtube is a thick type, but I had no problem with the large frame adaptor and a hole drilled through the frame. The seat tube is almost perfect for the rear engine mount, but I had to file a tiny bit out of the mount to get a snug fit.
They're in bike shops right now. I bought mine 5 or 6 weeks ago.
The large frame version, 21" / 53cm, is the one needed to fit the motor. It was a bit more expensive than the K-Mart ones, at $300AU, but my engine wouldn't fit in those.
Pic below.
... Steve

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bike-New Head.jpg
    Bike-New Head.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 323
I already mentioned the price. (Only looking at the pictures?) $300AU
Regarding top speed, mine is still being run in, so I can't answer that definitively. I'm taking it easy. I've opened it up near full a couple of times. I just touched 37kph. When run in, my guess is a massive 40kph! That's with the standard 44T sprocket. If you want to go faster, a smaller rear sprocket will improve things a bit, but for the highest speed, a shift kit is the way to go. No matter what other engine mods you do, these engines can never rev that much higher than standard, so gearing is the only way to get much speed. The trouble is, then you'll attract the attention of every cop you pass. In this country, you really don't want to go much more than 40kph. Enough fast bikes on the road and they'll be banned.
Also, high fixed gearing means that your minimum speed increases and the bike will tend to stall below about 15kph. Great on the open road, but no good for tootling around the shopping centre or on footpaths.
... Steve

Glad I could help.
Good luck bike hunting.
In Geelong, you might get a better deal than I did, too.
Nowra is much smaller.
Just remember, 21" / 53cm frame.
... Steve

Last edited:
Back