What brake light options are you aware of?

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
8:03 AM
So while attaching all these LED lights to my MB a few weeks ago I was trying to figure out a way to use one of the LED's as a brake light. I personally knew of no brake lights for a MB but of course that's because I'm a Noob who knows very little about a lot of things. Thing is though there's plenty of Noobs like myself on this forum who could use the more experienced members ideas on brake lights. I only know of one that was kindly provided by another member on a separate thread, since this is the only one I know of it's my favorite!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262901078902

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
12v battery and led strip lights that are a dime a dozen on eBay, plus some soldering skills.
Yea that's a great bright safety feature but is the only option to use a dual lever, apparently some people frown on using a dual brake lever...... I'm sure they have the same opinion for just the single lever.

If you're going with a cable brake, which I know you are, then there are some cheap brake lights available on the auction site that have the switch located on the bare part of the brake cable rather than the lever. This should mean that you can use whatever lever you prefer, regardless of whether it has been made to work with a brake light.
I have one somewhere so I'll edit with a picture of the switch if I happen to find it later.

I just do running lights now, but on my old bike my brake light was a second set of LED marker lights wired to a switch epoxied into my brake lever

I just do running lights now, but on my old bike my brake light was a second set of LED marker lights wired to a switch epoxied into my brake lever
I more or less stumbled across this lever because a friend had it on hand that he bought but never used, I offered to buy it, I think the whole reason was because I wanted to install a proper dual pull lever on my sister's bike, yanked mine bought his.

I also needed an excuse to finally hook the brake light up, somewhere along the lines something never got soldered

Going to follow this. I'm thinking of updating a old bullet style tail light into a LED battery powered tail/brake light to mount on my chrome fender. I wasn't going to do a brake light just a tail light but think its a smart upgrade when dealing with city traffic.

Going to follow this. I'm thinking of updating a old bullet style tail light into a LED battery powered tail/brake light to mount on my chrome fender. I wasn't going to do a brake light just a tail light but think its a smart upgrade when dealing with city traffic.
I think it's a great idea, especially if you don't have any rear facing lights the brake light would be a needed safety feature.

In addition to brake lights has anyone used a turn signal they actually liked? I thought of hooking horn buttons up near each grip but in the end I didn't think it'd be a realistic idea. To continuously tap the horn button every time I wanted to turn..... that'd get old quick. I only tossed the idea around briefly but I was looking at small trailer turn signals, just didn't put much thought into it. Has anyone found turn signals that they could provide a pic or link of, I'll happily steal another's good idea.

In addition to brake lights has anyone used a turn signal they actually liked? I thought of hooking horn buttons up near each grip but in the end I didn't think it'd be a realistic idea. To continuously tap the horn button every time I wanted to turn..... that'd get old quick. I only tossed the idea around briefly but I was looking at small trailer turn signals, just didn't put much thought into it. Has anyone found turn signals that they could provide a pic or link of, I'll happily steal another's good idea.
Led motorcycle turn signal relay and whatever led bulb or equipment you prefer, and a simple turn signal and lights switch on the handlebars. All found on eBay.
Turn switch
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201656734983

I recommend this relay as it doesn't need load resistors to flash properly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262966811600

The led lamp itself can be practically anything. Hook up is sloppily as follows.
Note072717_1.jpg

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back