What Cheap Cruiser Bike for Grubee Stage III Rear Mount?

highcap56

Local time
7:06 PM
Had to de-install my kit from the mountain bike I wanted it on due to sprocket/frame clearance problems.

Want a single speed cruiser with caliper brakes.

Any suggestions of the best Walmart or Target bike for that rear mounted kit?

Thanks! I can order and wait too.. want to spend around $150 tops.

Just got back from the big W store and they reloaded the bicycle endcap with the upgraded Cranbrookes they still have for $75!

YES, I said $75 for the bike, the upgraded seat, and handlebar bag already installed!

Take the leftover money and install v brakes..... and have money left over to boot!

Just got back from the big W store and they reloaded the bicycle endcap with the upgraded Cranbrookes they still have for $75!

YES, I said $75 for the bike, the upgraded seat, and handlebar bag already installed!

Take the leftover money and install v brakes..... and have money left over to boot!

Sounds like a plan. I've seen several cruisers I like as well but they all had coaster brake only so I would have had to upgrade them too.

Thanks for the tip!

I made the 12 mile drive to the closest gangland W here in the LA area.

They had one left and put it back for me.

No tool bag and not sure about the seat. Just normal cruiser saddle. It is coming off anyway in favor of my arse-comfy gel seat.

Don't like the handlebars either, but for $75 .. hey.. its OK!

Start the build tomorrow. Should go fast after I get the sprocket bolted on and trued.

Thanks for the suggestion. :unsure:

By the way - if anyone can recommend a vendor without breaking the rules, I need some inexpensive v brakes for the bike.

Spent about 2 hours last night beating up and bloodying my knuckles installing the sprocket. Have to true it up today. Rear wheel is not the truest I have seen and has a little side to side wobble.

Of course, nothing is possible without a mod or two, and I have already determined that I have to re-engineer the coaster brake bracket because it is too deeply inset once the sprocket is on to seat properly.

Already mounted the throttle, grips, etc... just need to bolt the motor on and hopefully will be riding CAREFULLY tomorrow.

This bike has no brackets for v-brakes. Going to get a side pull set to help the coaster brakes until can get some v-brake brackets welded on.

Will post pics when complete.

Do most of you leave the rear fender on or off? Don't know if it will cause a clearance problem or not yes.

Delayed - just found that the motor mount for the Gru** St* 3 Rear Mount is WARPED.

Some quality Chinese manufacturing. Never going to work if it is not straight.

If you are in LA and know someone that can straighten it, hit me up.

Dead in the water until that gets straightened.

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 351
  • mount-a.jpg
    mount-a.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 403
Got the mount straightened, but even with that it still does not line up even with the sprocket, if you move it until it does, the chain hits the tire.

I've got nearly 15 hours in screwing around with this junk rear mount. No wonder they don't give good instructions.

Seems SO much easier with a front mount and I guess few of you really have a clue about this particular rear mount. Seemed like the best way to go, but now I regret every buying it.

Hoping SOMEONE can tell me where to get a front mount for the frame for this Grubee Stage III. All I see is kits - don't want a kit, just the mounting plate that attaches to the frame tubes.

Also - guessing I can simply take the gear box off and move it to a horizontal position instead of the vertical position for the rear mount. That looks easy enough.

Would really like to be RIDING, not breaking my hands trying to make a mount work that looks like it never will, regardless of donor bike. This was the second try.

Last edited:
Grrr... sounds like the same situation i'm in. I took 2 weeks off in frustration trying to get my grubee 4g t 4 stroke, drive, rack mount. I will get back on the horse 1st things tomorrow morning.
a. my rear engine drive sprocket needs to be "trued"
b. engine only stays on with the choke on
I hope its worth the aggravation, and finally works well for both of us.
Good Luck! :)

Grrr... sounds like the same situation i'm in. I took 2 weeks off in frustration trying to get my grubee 4g t 4 stroke, drive, rack mount. I will get back on the horse 1st things tomorrow morning.
a. my rear engine drive sprocket needs to be "trued"
b. engine only stays on with the choke on
I hope its worth the aggravation, and finally works well for both of us.
Good Luck! :)

I hear ya! Not much fun if the drive is always jumping off the track.

I'm giving this one more shot, then moving to mount it in the fame.

Lots of hours invested.

Good luck with yours!

Back