What do you know?

G

I just got a TAS "Spitz" QMB 23 from the local flea market....cheap, I think. From the original owner, with all paperwork/packaging//instructions/exploded view/sales slip, ect.ect.

Is this considered a rack mount or a friction drive (seems like both to me).

Good Tanaka engine from Japan, That's all I know.

Let me have all the info you guys have.

I believe that friction drives are by definition all rackmounts...ie: they are mounted on racks either front or back
let us know how it works for ya !!!

I'm going out to fit it up to my aluminum bike now.

Photos to follow.

Found out this is the same as a Bikebug/Sears Free Spirit/Little Devil.

Bah! Foiled!
It won't fit the wide forks of the Monterey Bay Cruiser......I guess I'll have to get ANOTHER bike! :LOL:

Bike Bug

Hi I have a customer, Mike somebody or other in Texas that handles replacement and rebuild parts for these. If you like I'll try to dig up what I have on him, Nice guy, he and I spoke several times on the phone, sadly my HD crashed a couple times since then, but I think I can find him if you want, Mike

Thanks Mike...this thing came with ALL the paperwork, plus the original box. Even had some exploded views. I do know it's the same as a Bikebug and Sears sold it under the Free Spirit name. I just can't wait to get it going and compare it to the Happytime motor kit.

I know Tanaka is a decent brand. Funny thing, once I get a bike to fit it, it takes about 5 minutes to mount and have it ready to run.

I may dismantle the Monterey and use the wheels/handlebars/seat on an old Murray Westport I picked up a few weeks back.....problem solved! :)

I have one of these motors mounted on a mid-1950s Rudge. I got mine from a man for $5USD, complete with original paperwork. He made a mounting frame and ran the motor on the rear wheel instead of the front as originally mounted. I installed it on the front of my bike. It makes the steering a little heavier feeling. I recently got a free 22cc honda 4stroke weedeater. I'm contemplating making an adapter to mount the honda to the tanaka drivetrain. There is a way to use urethane inline skate wheels or wider skateboard wheels as replacement and inproved coeficient of friction drive rollers on these macines. There is a choice of wheel diameters as well, which allows different reduction ratios.

Five dollars!?! Mine wasn't quite that cheap. Still haven't mounted it. I did see the website that tells how to replace the drive roller. Mine (roller) is new, so good for now.

Updated webiste www.bikebug.net

If you would like your smiling face and bike posted in our photo gallery - please send the photo to msamigo@aol.com

We are posting videos also.

Brothers In The Wind)

Mike

Back