what do you like and loath about 2 strokes?

linnix13

Local time
3:34 AM
i like:
the power to weight ratio,
their simplicity
reliability
the sound when their tuned properly
the smooth snowmobile type acceleration.
low running costs.
and above all the smell of them(reminds me of snowmobiling!

i loath:
mixing the fuel
the smoke when improperly tuned.
the loud whining sound of smaller displacement engines
constant rebuilds.
the heat
vibrations
and no power in the low end.

what do you like,loath about 2 strokes?

I like:

No oil changes

I loath:

Mixing gas/oil
Oil dripping from exhaust pipe
Leaking headgasket
Fouling spark plugs
Carbon build up behind piston rings
Inefficient use of gas/oil
High exhaust emissions
"Ring-ding-ding" exhaust sound

like:

smell with castor oil
throttle response
coming on the pipe
p/w ratio
no oil draining and dealing with used oil
the sound frequency
simplicity - less moving parts
experimenting with fuel oil/mix

dislike:

sound amplitude
people's attitudes about 2 stroke engine (and incorrect information)
peaky power band

love-
sound
top speed
power to weight ratio
simplicity of repairs etc etc

Hate.......
excess oil that accumulates on chain and dripping from exhaust and on my feet and shoes and pants.
i would say mixing fuel but the local servo has a premix available so i buy that.
smell
replacing or cleaning fouled plugs

Remember- this is all personal to me and to each their own...

Love-

-Does a darn nice job taking care of the weeds in the summer, the leaves in the autumn, the snow in the winter and cutting fire wood.

Hate-

-The sound... well, that's it...enough to keep it off of my bike.

Remember- this is all personal to me and to each their own...

Love-

-Does a darn nice job taking care of the weeds in the summer, the leaves in the autumn, the snow in the winter and cutting fire wood.

Hate-

-The sound... well, that's it...enough to keep it off of my bike.

well i to used too love 4 strokes(had a Tecumseh on my minibike and it ran for 30+ years without letting me down) and yes im 17 the engine was on my grandpas old snow blower. but 2 strokes are so cheaps, once my HT fails(it just turned over 3300km today) i will save up and by a decent 4 stroke, what engine kit would you recomend that will use my existing sprocket and will proved ample if not more power than my HT? thanks

I have a Honda engine/grubee gearbox- I really like it. The EZ Motorbike looks good as does the Firebelly Hardbox, but with either of those, I would still hold out for the Honda engine.

I know that people love their 2 strokes...nothing wrong with that, but not for me.

like:
cheap
fires right up every time
power to weight ratio!
looks cool... that's worth something...
hauls my butt around

don't like
a bit loud, but not that bad
PITA to fill up at a gas station because I have to fill up and mix in oil. But not a big deal. I usually fill up from my jug at home anyway.

in all, I'm really happy with with cheap crappy chinese kit. goes a lot better than I would have thought.

There are all sorts of 2/4 strokes,cheap&crummy ones ones and high performance ones.As far as performance goes the highly tuned 2 strokes will bury any 4 stroke of the same displacement,take the GP460,43 cc, good for 4hp+ at 10k.With proper induction&exhaust tuning 6hp or more.But they are peaky& more temperamental and need a multispeed gearbox.4 strokes are rpm limited,but can be engineered for high rpm(performance)for instance the Kaw. Ninja 250 can put out 20hp at 13k.Ignition used to be the weak point with 2 strokes,but electronic ignition has pretty much done away with those problems.All in all it is more a question of quality,than type of engine as far as I'm concerned.

Back