What do you think about Training Wheels for winter ice driving?

inspectorcritic

Local time
6:09 AM
I keep on getting caught in winter storms here the now ain't deep but cars compact and polish it into black ice.
I'm going just as slow as I can without engine stalling just a little bit of a turn I'm very gradual then slam bam tire flips sideways I'm on the pavement cars behind me are coming I can only crawl it's night my red flashers flashing like an ambulance.
People friendly and rude and arrogant my headlight cut lose some lady grabs it ado like can I have, can I have it, is this yours? Yes it's mine lady who think belongs to some guy down by the store 400 yards out? Another guy grabs my lock chucks it the snow. Hey, fella that's mine don't lose t for me another guy I ask to park my bike out of the road because I'm on. my knees in pain. Frags me to the gutter flips it over on the side. Hey hey, guy t has had in the tank and I have ick stand well someone else please use it, as I try to drag myself to the bike.

Well, they do make training wheels for 26" bikes their expensive most are over the hundred dollar mark but I think that's the only solution for black ice falls.

And oh here I am today hobbling around with 2 knee braces and a came should have bought a crutch instead and I still half use my bike for transportation, might half to see a doctor tomorrow.

get some studded tires for winter, they work 100x better than regular tires on the ice. Local bike shops should have some in stock if you cant ebay it.

The way I survived MN winters when my bike was my only mode of transportation was to go faster (really, sounds counter-intuitive until you try it, makes the bike more stable, around 10-15mph is the sweet spot for stability anything less and your walking or falling)

lower your tire pressure as well, i was running 25-30psi the whole time (but it varies on load, i weighed about 170 and a 20lb backpack)

also practice staying up while riding with both your feet down, this helps for stability and control when it's really slick.

don't forget as well, just coast on ice, NEVER accelerate or brake hard on ice (unless you need to, but keep it VERY gentle if necessary)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Where I’m at it’s dry, 46 degrees, with an 18mph N wind and there’s no way I’m riding a motorized bike. Too cold. Lol
So you know what my advice would be.
It’s a good time to park it… if you can…and do some good maintenance.

Humor aside, be careful. One good washout and you can crack your head on the concrete. If at all possible, suspend the ride and use an alternate means of transportation.

I’ve had some wicked concussions from bikes. No fun.

Where I’m at it’s dry, 46 degrees, with an 18mph N wind and there’s no way I’m riding a motorized bike. Too cold. Lol
So you know what my advice would be.
It’s a good time to park it… if you can…and do some good maintenance.

Humor aside, be careful. One good washout and you can crack your head on the concrete. If at all possible, suspend the ride and use an alternate means of transportation.

I’ve had some wicked concussions from bikes. No fun.
46° and your cold, that's almost pleasant in the Rockies it gets so cold here i almost cry when I get a warm place to thaw out fingers hurt so bad I moan and moan for half-hour can't use warm water either.

But today the temperature was 52° flies came out a spider spit it silk web out I saw a caterpillar walk across my path and some damn crazy magpie was hauling sticks in making a nest right next to me. High hopes here for everyone hope it's going to be a warm winter.

Oh some good news called up Scheel's bike shop to see if they had trainers for 26" they said yes for about $30.00 and they would install them if they fit, so that's where I'm headed right now. Over and out!

Oh, oooh, Scheels say they can't do it for bikes with multi gears the derailer gets in the way they say.

But they don't know motorized bike builders there is always a problem to overcome just put the derailer in a vertical position that's solved you can still shift next some support strap just grind it out make it fit.

But no one is going to go against liability so if anyone else is thinking about ice train wheels keep that in mind while shopping.

I think in a situation where you are sliding, making you fall down, you are probably safer falling down than staying upright and sliding out of control ending up who knows where.

Focus on staying upright through maintaining control.

Back