What do youo think is the best drive system

it does make me feel MUCH better to know dad's keeping an eye on things...and i like knowing you're already safety-conscious...ride-on, buddy :cool:

Scrubber [ friction } wheel drives have been around , forever, & are still being sold, new. Yes, they have some faults, but so do any type motor system you put on a bike. I like that they are easily disengaged to pedal, are lightweight, inexpensive, &&& simple to install & maintain. They are NOT in the way, when you are on the road & have a flat tire to fix, either .

Loquin...you're feedback is right on track with what I joined this group to learn. I'm at a crossroads on what to buy. Before I spoke with the Eagle Kits folks today (fyi...I found them VERY friendly and helpful) and received your input I was ready to make the GEBE decision. Thing is, my intended use seems to point towards a chain / sprocket type of arrangements.

Here is my situation and needs. I'm an avid cyclist in very good shape. It isn't uncommon for me to bike 20-50 miles at a given setting. I live in the suburbs of my city and work near an airport. Our city is very forward thinking on bike paths and I have a beautiful path for about 60% of my 16 miles commute. I would like to be able to peddle on the bike path portion. After that first portion I have four lane (with a fifth middle turn lane) 35-45 mph road (wth no bike lane). I also have a sidewalk for all but the last mile of the second half of the commute (and laws allow for BIKES on the sidewalk here in Ohio). That early in the morning there is ZERO traffic on the sidewalks. Once I get to the last portion the speed goes up to 50 miles an hour for a mile. The mornings I have biked in (with it still being dark mind you) I ride AGAINST traffic on the median / off-road until I get to the sidewalk (which is a little in disrepair). So basically I need something that can bring me up to / close to traffic speed for the later half and then can run on a median for the last mile or so. My original intent was to simply get a 150cc/250cc scooter but I decided I wanted to get my cycling in as well. That means BY CHOICE I want to be able to peddle without the motor if I'm in the mood. With that in mind, do you think GEBE is the way to go? I mean, I'm not opposed to getting on and off the bike a time or two to engage / disengage the belt BUT I'm wondering if I might not be happier with a system that will "do it on the fly." Of course, I'm assuming that the sprocket / chain systems work like that.

Last edited:
Gary, as far as speed goes. Some of the gebe folks are going to speedweeks at the Bonneville Salt Flats this year to attempt to set a new record. So the gebe system can give you speed.

Thing is, my intended use seems to point towards a chain / sprocket type of arrangements.
Is there another reason your intentions call for a chain/sprocket besides wanting to pedal every so often at random times?

So basically I need something that can bring me up to / close to traffic speed for the later half and then can run on a median for the last mile or so.
If I were you, I would jump right into buying a NuVinci kit from Staton, like this one. You'll get gas mileage at least as good as a GEBE kit, plus you'll still have a reliable chain that doesn't need to be replaced every so many miles... and you'll never have to remove anything to pedal freely.

That means BY CHOICE I want to be able to peddle without the motor if I'm in the mood. With that in mind, do you think GEBE is the way to go? I mean, I'm not opposed to getting on and off the bike a time or two to engage / disengage the belt BUT I'm wondering if I might not be happier with a system that will "do it on the fly." Of course, I'm assuming that the sprocket / chain systems work like that.
I'm interested in someone with a GEBE kit who pedals every so often as well. I actually pedal quite a bit with my dual freewheeled hub. It's simple to start and stop, no switching anything or pulling a clutch... it's mostly all automatic. You can pedal without having to hold in a clutch lever and also don't have to mess with the clutch lever when starting & stopping. I can pedal to the corner store at about 12mph with a 20" BMX... then ride back with a beer in my left hand as I let the gas burn behind me.

I think this has NuVinci written all over it. The first bike I build will definitely be one of those kits from Staton. I'd be choosing between the Mitsu 42cc and Rob/Subaru 33.5cc.

G'Luck!

The R/S is a bit quieter, but, the mitsu isn't much louder. But, it has some 2-stroke pop.

The mitsubishi has to have oil premixed, though, which makes it more inconvenient than just filling up at the pump (but, since I got the 96 oz tank, I can go all week between fill-ups.) The mitsu has 2.2 hp (versus 1.6 for the rs) which can, depending on your needs, be the determining factor.

My wife and I have a Honda GX35 and the Mistubishi TLE43 respectively, and have been happy with both engines. Both are clean burning and reliable.

The mitsubishi may be too much engine for the gebe belt, though, unless you're very careful with your 'takeoffs.' For the Staton system, it should be outstanding. A REAL hill climber, AND racer.

Last edited:
Yea, in this guy's situation... I'd get the Mitsubishi & NuVinci kit... but that's just me. Around here, I don't think I'd want to go much faster than 30mph... most roads are 25-35mph, and I'm not getting on the highways.

And of course you can skip the NuVinci... but you never have to fool with derailers!! Only smooth shifting!

Has anyone tried hooking up through an internal (shimano/Sturmey-Archer/others) 8 speed internal hub? Apx 300% hi-to-lo ratio, in equal steps...

i think you can hook anything to anything if you're willing to accept (and respect) the mechanical limitations of the drive-train, and take up the slack with human-power. if a mutli-speed drivetrain was "legal' i'd be working on one, too...with gearing i bet i could take a shot at the 50cc motorcycle record with my 32cc.

i like pedal-assisting...for me, it's all about bicycle-1st, motorizin' is a bonus.

Back