What do youo think is the best drive system

TheMasterChief

Local time
12:15 PM
i'm looking for an easy way to make a moped because i need to get to work without burning all my money on gas. i'm looking at golden eagle kits and thinking to make a mock up but i also just saw a cheap chain drive and wondered if the golden eagle was better. i also need the system to be prety heavy duty because i live on 4 miles of dirt road. thanks for any help!

Have you read The Crash Course? This is a pretty basic topic.

I'll tell you my opinion, tho... I prefer centrifugal clutches with double freewheeled chains -OR- GEBE's kit (tho I haven't tried it, I've heard nothing but great things about 'em). Chains are definitely heavy duty, but they can be a PITA if they fall off & get dirty. If you're on a dirt road, I'd just get the GEBE kit for less maintenance.

just to make things a little easier for you around here...

there are many (and significant) differences between 'mopeds' and 'motorized bicycles'...most importantly: you buy a moped, you build a motoredbike...viv le difference :cool:

(no jab intended at hardcore moped doods who in fact do build their own rides)

(at 15yo, i surely hope there's some adult involvement in your project...also, are you paying close attention to the safety issues that come into play when riding a bicycle at 30mph? the first time a 'minor' eats it on one of these contraptions could be the beginning of the end for motorized bicycling)

Last edited:
Normally i'de say get the GEBE kit but since u live on 4 miles of dirt roads i'de concider being stoned(and not whe WOW man,pretty colors kind)
I'm talking about stones that your tyres are likely to throw-up or stones from passing traffic.Chains are more robust like that & are less likely to be effected.....remember though NOTHING is bulletproof.

Sorry about the whole moped i mean a motorized bike with 27 inch wheels and bare bones bike. but if it makes you feel better i have expierence with speeds over 70 on a bike. (an 1100cc yamaha.) and know how to keep it in exclent condition-safe. plus by me it is pretty rainy by me. so i don't know if the belt would slip on the wet roads like my last system did.

Last edited:
one last major question for today if you can tell me how th GEBE dirve works i know about th edrive ring and belt part but i would like to know if it is just a straight shaft or it has gears in the part that connects to the clutch. thanks a million!

There are no real gears. They advertise their "geared drive" system, but it's just fancy marketing speak for their toothed, kevlar timing belts.

if one were to read read read the rack-mount section, they'd find some good details and pics about the golden eagle system, then it wouldn't appear as if we're talking thru our buttocks...look for topics tagged with "GEBE"

and...masterchief...no offense, but it's not you i'm worried about, it's your age & how everyone else will perceive it. pocket-bikes and such have shown how quickly society will shut down something like this. if we want our contraptions to be viewed as real vehicles, then we have to deserve it.

DOT-helmets, full-time lights front & rear, hand-signals, road-rules...self-regulation is the key.

so, beyond yer skills to operate the bike, how's the attitude about how to conduct yerself when you're out there?

like i said, no offense intended, but one of the reasons i had to come back around and say a few things is that i'm noticing the trend to look at motorized bicycles as "toys" suitable for "children"...i see sellers saying it's ok to give a 12yo a 70cc vehicle, i see dads building 30mph machines for 14yo daughters, i see things that worry me...i see a kid getting smooshed on the asphalt and the gov't shutting it all down.

so, are you wearing or using the proper safety equipment? are you conducting yourself like a responsible motorist?

valid concerns, and not much attention's being paid to them.

sorry moddies for dragging this one off track...

The toothed belts don't slip. Nor do chains. There are pros and cons for each of the systems.

The Staton chain drive is more robust, handles more power, and handles abuse (jackrabbit starts, etc) better than gebe. It is a little noisier, and definitely heavier, though. Since the wheel sprocket freewheels, you can coast with just a background click-click-click sound, and can pedal the bike with no load from the drive system, without removing the chain. Although the Staton chain requires more maintenance than the GEBE belt, it is not exposed to the same amount of road grime as the bicycle drive chain, and, once aligned, it isn't affected by lateral movement, like that of a derailleur.

The Gebe system is lighter, and typically needs less maintenance. But, you have to pull the drive belt if you want to use the bike without the drag of the clutch. Granted, this only takes a moment, but you do need to stop. Belts are susceptible to damage/short life, if driving habits aren't more ... 'restrained' I guess is a good term. The gebe drive ring will take some work to get it aligned properly, so as to avoid vibration.

From an efficiency viewpoint, the GEBE system is probably slightly more efficient than the gearbox/chain combo of the Staton system. It's not enough to brag about, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and sorry for my bad english skills but I use all the same stuff I use for my motorcycle falling one time on a normal bike was enough. just to make you feel better My dad told me to do something like this to get to work. i have and use the leather and pads.

Back