What does this jet do ??

michael whiteman

Local time
2:17 PM
Just received my new 142F 4 stroke. Surprisingly enough this carb has an exposed brass idle mixture screw eliminating the need to dig out the cover and enlarge the screwdriver slot in the older versions. Directly under the throttle stop adjustment is a black plastic cover of some type. After pulling it up I discovered at the end of this inch long plastic tube is a very small brass jet. Is this the main mixture jet ?? I do not want to disassemble the carb at this time just to find out for myself. I figured one of you have already done this. Thanks in advance............m

1625042416715.png

zoom view icon

Jet Set- Pilot - #35​

Part Number:99204-ZE2-0350

That jet has been called the idle jet in some posts, notice the end of where it goes is directly into the throat of the carb. If you ever have hesitation problems when increasing the throtle that just might be the issue. Also notice carefully where the oring is positioned when putting a new one on. Looks like there's 4 positions it can go but just one is correct. That jet is a weak spot on the GXH50/144f/142f motors, it clogs up easily from debris or sitting ethanol gas. They also booger up easily if not pulled out gently. Nobody sells that jet alone by itself.

Thanks D. After thinking about this for a moment I realized a hole this small could never flow enough to be a main jet. At least it'll be easy to get to if it becomes plugged. I did not look for any indexing when I removed it. It will to go back in two positions 180* apart. There seems to be a well under the jet. I can't imagine anyone designing something that needs indexing creating something like this. Have you heard of others having idle mixture problems if installed wrong ?

You show a part number for a set so it must be available. Big question is who stocks it ? Good luck with that !
I'm learning to build and maintain a bike, one had better be really determined to do so. The frustration index can be pretty high.

Last edited:
Better off just buying the cheapest 142f carb then to buy that honda part. Put a nice inline fuel filter on the bike to help keep the carb clean.

Back