What engine/bike combo should I get?

griffinregan

Local time
12:11 AM
Hey! I’m looking into replacing my cheap unreliable electric bike. Here’s what I want

I’m looking for top end speed, as I want to be able to ride this on some roads. I don’t care if it is 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I just want a reliable, relatively quiet engine

As for a bike, i’ve seen that everyone says as long as I get a men’s 26 inch hard tail mountain bike i’ll be fine. Is there a specific tried and true combo, or would any bike work?

Thanks!

Hey! I’m looking into replacing my cheap unreliable electric bike. Here’s what I want

I’m looking for top end speed, as I want to be able to ride this on some roads. I don’t care if it is 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I just want a reliable, relatively quiet engine

As for a bike, i’ve seen that everyone says as long as I get a men’s 26 inch hard tail mountain bike i’ll be fine. Is there a specific tried and true combo, or would any bike work?

Thanks!
I also would love a beach cruiser, as this bike will mainly be a long trip commuter(20-40 miles). But I do want to be able to take it on trails

I would go with the china girl 66/80cc motor. The YD100 is fast but it doesn't like going slow..... Thats just my 2 penny worth.

I also would love a beach cruiser, as this bike will mainly be a long trip commuter(20-40 miles). But I do want to be able to take it on trails
Look for a Schwinn 5Star or similar, it is a 6 speed and a shift kit can be easily added for that top end you're looking for.

Thanks!
Before you invest any money lets start with the basics. Is a self built motorized bicycles even legal where you live? The under 50cc thing is a legal myth. Laws vary depending on location. Do you know the legal statutes for a motorized bicycle/moped/scooter in your area? Many places consider these vehicles to be the same. If you don't know the legal statutes you don't know your local laws for these vehicles. My state Tennessee law is 55-8-101(35). Then next thing to consider is how strictly does your local police enforce these guidelines? It's very disappointing to invest time and money just to discover you can't legally ride on your local public roadways.

The next thing to consider is what do you mean by off roading? An entry level mountian bike generally starts at around $500 from a reputable bicycle shop.

These so called department store mountian bikes have warning stickers like this on them.

schwinnwarn1.jpg

How much do you weigh? Do you have hills to contend with? If so what % grade are they and how frequently do you encounter them? What kind of tools and skills do you have to do a build with? Last of all, what kind of budget are you willing to spend?

Come back with answers to these questions then better advice can be given to you.

Last edited:
I got a Bay Cruiser different from my other bike but most people say Beach Cruiser a Navy Cruiser or any cruiser would work well. I got the Bay Cruiser from Walmart for $125.00 real good deal cuz online most cruisers are around $300.00+

That bike berry motor was running really well until got stolen had a good top-end speed of 35 MPH as long as it has a BBR sticker on the side should be fine I tried one of their motors without the sticker did not run too well nor did it last too long.

Back