What (engine side) chain lube do you use?

d72hemi

Local time
3:48 PM
Looking up chain both here and the web has shown me many different and conflicting products and process, most geared for motorcycles or bicycle chains. With our applications being basically in between a motorcycle and bicycle I would guess that we need a different chain lubricant.

I would like to know what each of you found to work best on your chains. I am currently in a hot, dry, dusty place so I use finish line dry lube on the pedal side of my bikes, but I would think that is not enough for the new #41 chain I have coming in for my new build.

Ian

Looking up chain both here and the web has shown me many different and conflicting products and process, most geared for motorcycles or bicycle chains. With our applications being basically in between a motorcycle and bicycle I would guess that we need a different chain lubricant.

I would like to know what each of you found to work best on your chains. I am currently in a hot, dry, dusty place so I use finish line dry lube on the pedal side of my bikes, but I would think that is not enough for the new #41 chain I have coming in for my new build.

Ian
I ask the factory where I bought a chain from he said Lucas Chain Spray its expensive and it collects some dirt not too bad, but I would say use wax got to use solvent first clean the oil then drop it in a pot boil it in saw it at Walmart for about 7 bucks.

Personally I would look more along the lines of some real thick automotive grade preferably grease for my chains. Here in Texas where it gets 100 - 105 degrees during the summer its better to have something thick enough that wont turn to a liquid and get slung off.

Use regular bicycle chain lube, the stuff is specifically created to not attract dirt like a lot non bike lubes will.

Use regular bicycle chain lube, the stuff is specifically created to not attract dirt like a lot non bike lubes will.

I think I saw some bike chain lube that is listed as summer and winter depending on the temp zone you are riding the summer isn't water resistant like the winter version is though why I was kind of shying away from that stuff myself. Id hate to have to grease my chain if I wash the bike.

Back