What I'd Like To Have

AdvenJack

Local time
11:47 PM
Florida Between Saint Petersburg & Weeki Wachee
I really like the look of the early FN machines. (1st picture below) The frame shape, gas tank shape, the way the seat is positioned
a smidge back and so on. BUT I'd prefer an electric motor, and house the removable battery (batteries) within a false fuel tank. How
could a 60+ year old "newby" get started on such a project? I was thinking maybe begin with a frame from worksmancycles.com
(blue bicycle below the 1911 FM)
1911 FN.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 2.49.58 PM.png

I really like the look of the early FN machines. (1st picture below) The frame shape, gas tank shape, the way the seat is positioned
a smidge back and so on. BUT I'd prefer an electric motor, and house the removable battery (batteries) within a false fuel tank. How
could a 60+ year old "newby" get started on such a project? I was thinking maybe begin with a frame from worksmancycles.com
View attachment 179384
View attachment 179383

Generally speaking, if you have to ask; you aren't ready for such a project. My suggestion would be to build a kit build first with another frame. Once you get the feel for how to do these builds then take on a more advanced build.

Great idea and a wonderful bike. How would you duplicate the motor though?
Halcyon-250-transparent-bg.png

View attachment 179384
View attachment 179383
Sure, buy that Worksman bicycle and start from there, you'll figure out what ya need
An electric or CG engine will be easy
When your done it might kinda sorta look like your dream bike

Great idea and a wonderful bike. How would you duplicate the motor though?
Halcyon-250-transparent-bg.png

JANUS motorcycles look cool for sure.
But the look like they're from a decade or two or newer than about 1910.
As to what I'd like to build, you asked about how I'd duplicate the motor.
I'm sure you meant the 1911 single cylinder gas engine on the FN in post 1.
I don't think I'd try to duplicate that "look" initially.
If I can get the following to look right: handlebars, frame, seat style and position,
false gas tank, {inside would be the battery, (batteries)} the old looking front fork
shock absorbing system, the old looking head lamp,
I'd be fine, at least for a while, with the electric motor NOT looking like the old gas
burning single cylinder engine.

View attachment 179384
View attachment 179383
Well sure it will work. Get a mid-drive electric motor and the batteries go between the cross bars. Make a false gas tank out of two plastic office bins, Bam! you're styling the turn of the century.

Naw, build a electric motor mounted in the same position as the single and use a drive shaft to propel the wheel. Would be a sweet and heavy project. Do you have a mostly functional shop or access? You just wont get that look with out being able to build custom.

Back