What is a good speedometer to buy?

T Rock

Local time
4:10 PM
I bought a speedometer for my bike (Bell) and it seems when the engine is running the meter malfunctions. When I put it on my bike before the engine was installed it worked fine and now that the engine is on it, it just refuses to work, anybody have any suggestions on a better speedometer that the engine electrical system might not interfere with?

Many of us have been through that drama. I started out with a Chinese 'Sunding' ($8) speedo from eBay and had the same experience as you. I tried shielding etc, to no avail.
Eventually, I bought a 'Cateye' wired speedo and haven't had a problem since.
Apparently, the 'Schwinn' speedos work OK too.

Dissapointed

Good to know i had no idea. Hope walmart sells Schwin speedos.
I had bought an O'neil bike helmet with built in speakers and what a dissapointment at store had a try me demo that sounded good (audio) but when hooked up to cd player audio was so weak had to have volume cranked and still could barly hear with no background nose. The demo audio devise hooked up to helmet must of had an amplifier in it. So i just dont use the speakers,but helmet is comfortable.

I got a schwinn spedo at walmart for $ 7.99 a red one !!!
I works great !!!!
You can get more expensive one's but why ???

I also got a swhinn speedo for $10 at walmart,but yeah they reset themselfs when starting the engine,unless you mount the speedo 4-5"s in front of the handle bars on a mount of somekind like i did. I used a plastic mount for a reflector to connect to handle bars and a piece of plastic or metal 4-5"s long and plastic tied the speedo on the end.

Ok, I got the speedo to work properly. I moved the wires from the kill switch away from the speedo wire coming up from the sensor. I then shielded the kill switch wires in a plastic automotive covering and now it works flawlessly...is that a real word? but it works now and thats all I care about. But the sad news is that my top speed was only 26.4 mph :( I need to start playing around with it, want it to hit at least 30mph! Think i need to loose some weight, im tipping the scales at 213lbs.

26mph / 213lbs isn't bad. Still, a bit of fine-tuning and you'll get 30mph.

The instructions for my Cateye speedo suggested running the sensor wires up the front brake cable. I did that and haven't had a problem.

I put the cheap 'Sunding' speedo on my electric bike and it works fine while riding, but was mysteriously resetting while parked in the garage.
A few days ago I figured out that my compressor was causing the resets. (I park the electric bike right beside it.)
These electronic speedos can be touchy.

I've had perfect success with a plain old Huffy 9 function bicycle speedo - really cheap and it just works; no electrical interference from the CDI

Fabian

I found that moving the sensing wire as far away as possible from any engine wire was necessary.

With the right sprocket ratios in place, weight is not a problem. I weigh 250 lbs and with a jackshaft kit, I regularly approach and sometimes exceed 35 mph on flat road even at this local altitude of 6200 and more feet above sea level. At those speeds, my engine is turning over 5000 rpm in fifth gear, according to my SenDEC tachometer. But with the slightest hill or in a moderate headwind, my speed drops quickly because the engine just can not maintain it.

My whole set up is completely stock. What would be some cheap mods that I could do without breaking the bank. I heard of some people removing the baffle from the muffler, is that ok ? Will it make the exhaust much louder? Is there any type of carb adjustments that I could do to get more fuel into the engine?

Back