What is a good starter setup for someone who doesn't know much?

merlinfire

Local time
10:56 PM
Totally new to motorized bikes. Wondering if I can get some basic advice. Hope this doesn't come off as annoying.

I am looking for something reliable and easy to maintain since I'm not an expert.

I don't have to have the most junky model out there, but I don't need the very most expensive either. Something middle of the road, something with a standard for durability.

A suggestion on bike/kit is very appreciated. And if you have any idea on cost and where I should get it from? Are there any brick & mortar stores that sell this stuff in SW Ohio? Or is internet pretty much the only option?

The kind with a rolling start require a manual clutch which isn't legal in many states. Most 4 strokes have a pull cord. They use a reduction transmission system that has a centrifugal clutch. These are considered automatic transmissions.

Ok looks like according to the "crash course for noobs" you can "bump start" most 2-cycle engines. Does most in this case mean "pretty much all" or how can I tell if an engine can be bump started

All of the popular "weedwhacker-style engines have centrifugal clutches that don't permit bumpstarting. That's why they can idle when not in use.

What you could do is reposition the pullstart so you can simply reach back and start the engine. The pullstart handle can be in any 4 positions you wish to bolt it on. You can do this while sitting @ the stop, or while rolling @ any speed. Just gets used to reaching back and yanking the rope.

Some engines will start with one pull. Other engines you have to pull rope and play with the throttle.

Lol, no worries. It's easier to do than writing this reply post.

Yes you can start a two stroke or a 4 stroke without stoping as long as it uses a manual clutch or your pull cord is within reach.

Back