what is the best conceled gas cap vent ?

Street Ryderz

Local time
11:13 AM
My youngest son and I just went for a ride about ten miles one way! As we started out my son on the newly built 50cc and me on my 66cc we had only gone half a km and i notice him fade back so I double back and ask what's up, He said that it reved up for a second and died so he pulled in the clutch and was trying to start it again, Well I know the tank was good filters are good must be venting so I pulled the cap choked it again and kicked it over no problem started right up!I messed around with the gasket or seal thats in the top of the cap and thought it would be good but no it happened to him again! So this kid said to me I want to ride that one pointing at mine,I asked him why and this was my thirteen year old's reply Because I dont want to ride the new one that one has proven it's reliability and you have to work all the kinks out of the new one!lol smart kid!Anyway yeah I rode the 50cc and had to keep lifting the cap to allow it to vent,I would like to put a hole in it somewhere but I dont want it on top or one of those vent tube sticking out is there a way to get the seal to allow it to vent properly or some way of adding a hole that's hidden that aids the venting? I sure I could figure It out but I am currious as to what others may have done! thanks.

I have had a cap like this on my peanut tank for 10 years:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Fuel-Ta...ash=item5d6c00efbf:g:M~wAAOSw2xRYU9W3&vxp=mtr

The keyhole to this locking gas cap is the vent.
Thats pretty cool but not really suited to my needs!That could be part of the problem that the tank and cap I used is around ten years old also,I seem to recall that the seal in the cap used to be somewhat hard and now it's really soft and plyable and maybe expanded not sure! but it seals to well now and these bikes drain the bowl way to fast lol!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The cap and tank I use are also 10 years old. My seal must like your seal.
You were looking for an inconspicuous gas cap vent. A locking gas cap is a cheap fix.
The keyhole is an inconspicuous vent hole. the cap's lid shades the keyhole, so less dirt can enter your tank.
Maybe you should McGuyver/ drill your cap.

Last edited:
The cap and tank I use are also 10 years old. My seal must like your seal.
You were looking for an inconspicuous gas cap vent. A locking gas cap is a cheap fix.
The keyhole is an inconspicuous vent hole. the cap's lid shades the keyhole, so less dirt can enter your tank.
Maybe you should McGuyver/ drill your cap.
I did drill a cap years ago and didn't like that when the tank was full it came out the hole!I pulled the seal out and fliped it over so the flat side now sits on the rim of filler throught hoping that will let the cap's venting work properly! Still open to suggestions I like the locking cap idea just not what I had in mind.

I did drill a cap years ago and didn't like that when the tank was full it came out the hole!I pulled the seal out and fliped it over so the flat side now sits on the rim of filler throught hoping that will let the cap's venting work properly! Still open to suggestions I like the locking cap idea just not what I had in mind.
Check your cap for vent hole. If it's old maybe it won't have one. You probably have extras laying around the shop that do.

Check your cap for vent hole. If it's old maybe it won't have one. You probably have extras laying around the shop that do.
Now that looks like what i need thanks brother!I flipped the seal around so that the flat side was against the filler neck and that didn't work so again thank you!You would think that I would have a few in the shop but somehow no ive gave them away over the years and now have to make do with what i have LOL!

New ones are pretty cheap. I would say you got your money out of your 10 year old gas cap. Get a new one, problem solved.

New ones are pretty cheap. I would say you got your money out of your 10 year old gas cap. Get a new one, problem solved.
The hole Gary showed should be my answer the tank and cap are painted nice and other than not venting well it's still working well so was curious as how others may have went about it!You can see in the pic the tank and cap match nicely I think!

Attachments

• 2017-04-05 22.45.31.jpg
    2017-04-05 22.45.31.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 180
Back