What is the law for pushers ?

I had the same sort of idea, over here...

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=22581

Only using a 110v electric motor.

The cheapo HF generator would only power up to a 1-1/2hp motor.

But a more expensive honda generator that puts out 1000watts and is quieter, and more efficient, (More 'miles per gallon'), could power a 2hp.

I still have that in mind, as I consider my 'pusher' options.

Of course, the honda is pretty much well out of my 'options' range anyway.

The main difference would be this: In the one case, you would be recharging the batteries of an e-bike. You could still run the bike without the gas motor running, which would completely throw out any argument that, since an internal combustion motor is running, that the bike is an internal combustion driven system. You could turn off the gas motor, and quietly tool away...

If you have a generator directly driving an AC motor, this 'out' isn't available. Legally, the argument could be made that the generator/motor is an electromechanical 'linkage', rather than a mechanical linkage, between motor and the ground, and that since the motor is required for operation, essentially, this form is just an elaborate form of a gas powered bike.

Last edited:
The main difference would be this: In the one case, you would be recharging the batteries of an e-bike. You could still run the bike without the gas motor running, which would completely throw out any argument that, since an internal combustion motor is running, that the bike is an internal combustion driven system. You could turn off the gas motor, and quietly tool away...

If you have a generator directly driving an AC motor, this 'out' isn't available. Legally, the argument could be made that the generator/motor is an electromechanical 'linkage', rather than a mechanical linkage, between motor and the ground, and that since the motor is required for operation, essentially, this form is just an elaborate form of a gas powered bike.

Very good point.

Now we have a different direction to hope, for research and improvement.

We are already hoping for better batteries.

Now, let's hope they come up with an even smaller 'self-contained generator'. Say half or a quarter the size of the small honda generator, that is capable of keeping the ebike batteries charged up.

That little honda is so efficient that I wouldn't mind running that as much as running a chainsaw or weedwhacker engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main difference would be this:*snip*

loquin,

Just wanted to post again, to say that I JUST NOW read your thread in the push trailer section, about this very idea. (Using the generator to recharge the batteries.)

I want to apoligize. I should have spent more time reading, before making my first posts, and especially starting the thread about something completely different, in the electric bikes section.

Guess my idea wasn't all that 'different' after all. LOL

Back